Thread: shill or no shill - what do you think

shill or no shill - what do you think

the back story. this plane was listed a couple weeks ago and i don't think anyone bid on it, i missed out cause I forgot the time it was ending (it was ending in the middle of a work day…). relisted and now it skyrockets up even though there were days left...

Lets just say I'll now pass on this one. I see a lot of this on ebay uk… Ebay uk is actually the most expensive place to find older tools.

I've boned up on shill bidding and now know I've had "bid up and hold" done on me at least once recently. Now if I think it's a shill I'll just cancel my bid.
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 12-13-2014 at 5:25 AM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Personally, I put my highest bid in and then forget about it. I win or I don't. If I didn't notice the first listing then the second would be doing what you have observed.

Or maybe not; you won't find out until the third listing. But, if it is less than you are willing to pay, bid. If it is more, don't.

I do like wade. I don't know who is bidding against who on those auctions, but this kind of thing usually happens to me when I see something good slipped through the cracks and then more than one person notices it next auction.

There was a type 1 millers falls #24 (a #8 sized plane, a very uncommon plane in that size and type) that was about $80 last year and I missed it, and it got relisted and went through the roof the second time around. So much for that.

I don't know much about english moulding planes, but the plane you linked doesn't look like anything special (it's not particularly old).

I use the Ebay app. It tells me when a watched, or bid on item is 30 minutes from ending.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I had a weird situation on Ebay a few weeks back.

I was bidding on a matched set of wooden hand planes. I believe the total number of planes was 32. Anyway I made a bid of $400 with 5 seconds to go and was told I was the highest bidder. When the auction ended I find out I was outbid by a few bucks. About 30 seconds later I got a notice from Ebay saying that the item had been re-listed!!! I watched the second auction carefully and the planes sold for about the same price again, this time they were not re-listed.

I had a shill bidder on a staple gun that I got. I was bidding against a bidder and I ended up with the gun but it had the bidders name on the tag that had the sellers name and address on it, This company was selling a lot of air tools. I reported them and they were banned from selling due to shill bidding

Blog Entries
    Looking at the bid history it looks like it might be "ebay troll bidding."

My brother used to complain about that when he put in a bid on an item and someone else would come along and bid it up in increments of a dollar or so.

He switched to sniping software. I have gotten pretty good at sniping without the software.

I tend to do screen copies of winning bids. If I was told I won and then a minute later someone else outbid me, I would complain very loudly and very vocally.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Looking at the bid history it looks like it might be "ebay troll bidding."

My brother used to complain about that when he put in a bid on an item and someone else would come along and bid it up in increments of a dollar or so.

He switched to sniping software. I have gotten pretty good at sniping without the software.

I tend to do screen copies of winning bids. If I was told I won and then a minute later someone else outbid me, I would complain very loudly and very vocally.

jtk
    That particular auction had a perfect example of shill bid n hold a couple days ago but it's been mottled by the recent bidding.

It appears that the UK ebay is rife with bid n hold shill bidding. When you get good at identifying the characteristics of ebays bidding process it's actually quite easy to bid and hold (bidding up an auction and holding just before you reach another persons maximum bid). Often it's said that you should look at a persons bid retraction history but if your reasonably adept at reading the ebay bid characteristics it's very easy to bid up to the limit of a proxy bid and not go over. It's a pretty serious flaw in ebays process

Not sure how other ebay sites compare, haven't been much of a user of ebay till I moved to the UK.
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 12-16-2014 at 4:25 PM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!