Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirka sander

Mirka sander

I was reading another thread about sanders and saw a brand I was unfamiliar with, Mirka. After a brief check on Amazon I found out the ROS sells for $495.00 (electric). What makes this sander roughly six times better (it is roughly six times the cost of anything else, except Fusstool) than any of the other ROS out there? I have a hard time believing it will sand that much better or last that much longer than my old PC or Bosch.

Have you got one in your hands? I have and I felt it is much better than my Festool, lighter, low profile and feels just like an air sander.
    If I didn't have the Festool and was on the market I'd seriously consider it. If you have a lot of sanding to do (especially on vertical surfaces) your wrists will appreciate it!

The Mikra Ceros is expensive, but due to the separate power supply it's very light and comfortable. The dust collection is pretty incredible too, especially with their mesh disks. It's quieter than most sanders too. If you do a LOT of sanding or hate it as much as I do, it's worth checking out. I've also got Bosch 6" orbital and half sheet sanders and a Makita belt sander that I haven't touched since I bought my Mirka.

All I can say is ++ to the previous post. The weight, dust control is why I haven't had any regrets.

If you ever do marathons of sanding, then a small palm sized sander (such as the compressor powered style for auto body work) is night and day different. The Mirka Ceros gives you that in an electric version, which I have yet to see any other company do. Is the actual surface left behind that much better will simply be the opinion of the user. But many more factors play into the Mirka than just the sanded surface. Small size, extremely low vibration, possibly the best dust collection due to almost a hundred holes collecting through the pad and mesh discs, comfort, paddle switch, 7 speed variable, add-on pads for contoured surfaces, superb Abranet sanding discs and most of all a sander which doesn't make you hate sanding.

Whether the price is high is entirely up the buyer. There are products of all price points.

Similar to Dave, I too have a bunch of other portable sanders, 6 more I believe, and use the Mirka nearly all the time. Is the Mirka worth 6x the cost of a PC or low end Bosch, after using one for several years, I'd say yes for my situation.

I use the 6" Ceros, more work with less time.

Also you get a $75 systainer included in that $495 price
    Last edited by John Schweikert; 12-13-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Can anyone speak about the life span of this sander. How long can I expect it to last before it needs work or replacement?

Is this a finishing type sander? I noticed you mentioned it has replaced your belt sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stuve View Post
    The Mikra Ceros is expensive, but due to the separate power supply it's very light and comfortable. The dust collection is pretty incredible too, especially with their mesh disks. It's quieter than most sanders too. If you do a LOT of sanding or hate it as much as I do, it's worth checking out. I've also got Bosch 6" orbital and half sheet sanders and a Makita belt sander that I haven't touched since I bought my Mirka.

I've had mine for about a year and a couple of days ago it quite working. Bought one of those new Bosch sanders for about $250, it's great.
    Couldn't say what is wrong with the Mirka.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Haskell View Post
    I've had mine for about a year and a couple of days ago it quite working. Bought one of those new Bosch sanders for about $250, it's great.
    Couldn't say what is wrong with the Mirka.
    It has a 2 year warranty.

I have had my 5" Mirka Ceros for about 1 1/2 years now

I also have a Festool DTS 400, a Bosch 1274 belt sander and a Bosch 1250 ROS.

The Mirka is my favorite - well worth the money. I am partial to it because it weighs, feels and performs like an pneumatic sander.

Although I have several Festools - I don't drink the cool-aid. I strongly believe the Bosch 1250 is every bit as good as the Festool RO 90 (at about half the price). Can't say that about the Ceros - you get what you pay for. (I really could care less about the 'systainer' it comes with, I wish they had an option without it to save money)

When I bought mine - I got a ton of sandpaper for free and I still haven't used it all up. I believe the warranty is 3 years and I always use my AmEx to add another year.

I find myself in need of more sandpaper, and found some Mirka paper sheets on closeout (50 sheets of 150 grit for $9). Are their abrasives any good?

I believe Mirka has a 2 yr warranty and they extend it to 3 yrs if you register the tool.

I debated about the Ceros until I found it on sale for $350. I love the sander. Much better than my Festool. Woodworkers Shop shows a limited inventory for $350 - http://woodworkersshop.com/ceros5com...bitsander.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Krawford View Post
    I debated about the Ceros until I found it on sale for $350. I love the sander. Much better than my Festool. Woodworkers Shop shows a limited inventory for $350 - http://woodworkersshop.com/ceros5com...bitsander.aspx
    Holy cow, that's a great price! At that price, the decision is a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Holy cow, that's a great price! At that price, the decision is a no-brainer.
    I think that may be a deal/price that has been on their site for a long time and for whatever reason they never take it down. I may be wrong but I believe I called them a long time ago about that deal and they havent had the sanders for a long time. I had called rather than put it in the basket and checkout and I believe someone tried and the transaction wouldnt complete or something.

Anyone interested ought to check it out before ordering.