Thread: Anyone running a 1"spindle on their shaper?

Anyone running a 1"spindle on their shaper?

Anyone running a 1"spindle on their shaper?

Larry

Not currently (though I do have a single 1" spindle for the T130 Class shapers). I used to have a pair of PMs (#26 and #27) with 1" spindles. I used one with a 1" bore corrugated moulding head and bushed the other one to 1.25 for other cutters. What are you wondering about?
    JR

My Beach shaper has a 1" spindle. I run 1.25" cutters with bushings.
    PI

When I bought my Unitronix the owner told me it had two 1" spindles. When I got it home it was 1 1/8" and I had ordered 1" x 1 1/4"bushings. I have two sets I have no use for. I know you don't need them JR, you have the coolest toys, but Paul now...........

Paul, PM me your address and I will send you two sets free of charge. Like an early Christmas...

Larry

Larry, check with Woodworkers Tool works and see if you can get 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 bushings for a reasonable cost. I know they are made but not as cheap as they don't have much metal to work with, but neither is machining the spindles down and adding spacers. Crummy size but most older machines are that. Dave

I already got two sets from them in that size David. The ones I am giving away I ordered before I had the machine in my possession. I saw that picture of your new Martin. You suck!

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I already got two sets from them in that size David. The ones I am giving away I ordered before I had the machine in my possession. I saw that picture of your new Martin. You suck!

Larry
    I've got a spare 1 1/8" spindle for it but it is out of round. Trying to decide if it can be straightened with heat or machined down to 1". Dave

That thing looks like new, must have been cared for.

I don't really see any problem with a 1" spindle for most of the cutters we are going to run. Bushing are a pain but cheaper than a custom spindle. Quote on mine was just over $800, so I bought bushings. I'd have emailed you on the bushings but didn't think you had any 1" spindles. Cleaning out stuff in my shop that I will never use.

Did you get the email on that plane I sent you?

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I've got a spare 1 1/8" spindle for it but it is out of round. Trying to decide if it can be straightened with heat or machined down to 1". Dave
    How far out is it? I fixed one of my 1-1/8" spindles on the Martin but it wasn't out all that much. I did it cold with gentle leverage and got it within +/- .002.

JeffD

Was there ever a time when they made 1" cutters? I still see. Lot of 1" spindles out there, never seen a 1" bore cutter, not advertised, not on eBay, not in old catalogues, not at auctions. Inch and an eight seems even more obscure, but I see those out there too. Where there competing standards and 1 1/4" just won out in this country?
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Bushings are on their way to Paul.....

Larry

I've seen 1 inch and 1 and a eight ,but only in employer owned stuff. Always wondered why those two sizes so close.