Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Heat Question

..Sounds like a great system, Randy. I especially like the part about playing with the dogs as part of your daily exercise.

If I had a well insulated stand-alone shop, I'd put in a mini-split heat pump. Properly sized it will keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Tom, I'll have to agree with Yonak.....you do have a great looking shop! Thanks for the input. I didn't think about the clearance requirements.....need as much working space as possible!!

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'm going to look into strictly gas since I already have gas plumbed to the building....the wood stove sold the other day anyway!! Stew, I've briefly looked into the mini-split heat pumps....do you have any recommendations on a brand? I may even look into a sealed combustion high efficiency forced air unit and run a small plenum. I could always add a/c later on!

What say the masses?:
    mini-split heat pump?
    conventional high efficient forced air?

-Steve

If you're not in the shop everyday, mini-split can be cheap to operate.

That breaks down, if it's a daily user.

My guess is that you'll be looking for more
    ways to ventilate waste heat, than searching
    for heat sources.

http://blog.cmiac.com/2011/06/27/why...-one-you-have/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goetz View Post
    Stew, I've briefly looked into the mini-split heat pumps....do you have any recommendations on a brand? I may even look into a sealed combustion high efficiency forced air unit and run a small plenum. I could always add a/c later on!

What say the masses?:
    mini-split heat pump?
    conventional high efficient forced air?

-Steve
    My shop is in my oversized 3-car garage, and is attached to my house. My furnace is in the garage so I opened a vent into it. I get both heat & cool that way. Even before I did though, my garage never got below about 50*. IN very cold weather I have a small electric heater that I turn on and that keeps it at around 65*. For the summer I have a Whynter portable A/C unit. It's a dual hose model and since I have no windows in my shop, I cut holes through the wall for the piping. Between the vent from the house and the Whynter unit, the garage stays a very comfortable 65-70* even on the hottest days.

As for a mini-split, Klimaire is supposed to be an excellent brand. They make a wide range of sizes, in both A/C and Heat Pump models. I was looking at the mini-splits but for my purposes, what I have now works great.

Stew Hagerty

There is an Orshelyn store in a local town that sells an outside wood burner,forced air, that you can set outside your shop, and blow the heat into your shop. I have both a propane furnace with AC, and an outside furnace, and I use the wood burner most of the time. If I need a quick warm up, I use gas. Replaced the AC in the house 3 years ago, and put the old unit in the shop. Nice to have cool on a hot day, but you have to insulate accordingly.

A gas heater connected to a programmable thermostat would be nice. That way, the shop can be heated up on Saturday morning before I get out there.

In my ideal shop, I'd have a gas heater to keep things warm when I couldn't tend to the fire. But still have a wood burner as a main source of heat.

I'm grateful for the little wood stove I have. Can't wait to get into the shop on Saturday (tomorrow)!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark FL View Post
    Hi Steve,
    However, don't forget air-conditioning. Hot and humid is even worse than a cold shop. That wood stove isn't going to help in that department.

I got one of these from Amazon. It works great. Part of my disability has to do with my internal thermostat. I cannot take heat. Anything above 70* makes me uncomfortable, and once it hits 80* I'm done. This unit pumps enough cool air into my shop to keep me comfortable on all but the hottest days. Oh, and my shop takes up about half of my over-sized 3-car garage. I do get some extra cooling from a vent I added to my furnace pipe, but not nearly enough as my new Whynter Portable A/C unit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stew Hagerty