Thread: Router table gets a bench to sit on

Router table gets a bench to sit on

Had an old SKIL router table, and a B&D 1/4" router, yard sale items. One problem
    router table completed.jpg
    It was sitting ON MY TOOL CHEST. Had some metal parts from an old loft bed. Cut some "legs" to 27-1/4" long. Had a little bit of 1/2" plywood sitting , in my way. Cut a few strips of that to about 4" wide. Had a box of drywall screws. Coarse thread, 1-5/8" long. Grabbed a couple clamps, and a drill with a driver in it.
    IMAG0060.jpg
    Three screws per leg joint. As long as the ply was clamped down, the screws went right through the metal. After the two sides were together, added a deck of sorts
    IMAG0062.jpg
    Same as before, clamp it, add a few screws. Had a few extra strips of that 4" wide plywood
    IMAG0063.jpg
    added one to each end. I could make sure that the legs were square this wat, too. One strip at each end. makes an open "grid" top.
    IMAG0064.jpg
    Then added two more strips across the top, to attach the SKIL table legs to
    IMAG0065.jpg

Hey, any dust and chips can just fall to the floor. I can add other items to the deck as needed. For now, I just parked it out of the way
    IMAG0066.jpg

The plywood leaning there is the second scrap I have. I also have a project to use that one up. Rest of the full sheet of 1/2" plywood? Laying under the mattress of my bed, to help the back a bit..

basically, just using up what scraps are still in the shop. Now, i can go to work on that tool chest a little better.

Table from SKIL included a fence, There is also a few homemade fences with it. May add a place to store all of the router bits, haven't decided where to lcate it yet. Do you think this needs a bottom shelf, as well? Still have another of those end grids.....IMAG0061.jpg
    Maybe something about ankle high, and shaped like a box, with the sides higher than the shelf?

If that were mine, I would build a whole drawer unit under it. I hate to waste floor space. How about a slightly smaller cabinet on wheels that slides under it??
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

This will be one of those "rollit out to use, and roll back when done" things. I can store it out of the way until needed. Needs to be light enough that I can move it as needed.

Wonder how many other tools I could temp add to this little bench. Maybe add a shelf under the lathe bench to park a couple benchtop tools, drag one out as needed, clamp it down to this little bench. When done, I can park everything back out of the way, IF I remember to, that is.....

Make sure you clamp the router table down before use or it will float away on you

Right now, there are eight screws holding it in place. Unless I break a couple.......