Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Auto Mechanics on Sawmill Creek ?

What's the actual code in question?

10 years experience working on OBDII vehicles, by the way...

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Blog Entries
    This thread makes me happy that MI doesn't require testing anymore. They did tailpipe emission tests for a few years back in the 80's. One of the advantages to living in "Pure" Michigan!
    NOW you tell me...

I'm going to out on a limb and take a stab at it: Code P0420? "Catalyst below efficiency"? That would be the common one that us shade tree mechanics clear by disconnecting the battery (or pulling the ECU fuse). The car will not display the CEL for a number of miles (perhaps 100) but the issue is that it still won't pass OBDII inspection. Once the tech plugs the scanner into the car's port, the ECU will report "not ready", which is why they tell you to drive it around for a while.

There are some aftermarket fixes that might be work and be inexpensive if this is the code in question.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    This thread makes me happy that MI doesn't require testing anymore. They did tailpipe emission tests for a few years back in the 80's. One of the advantages to living in "Pure" Michigan!
    I wish they would put an end to this "drive clean program"that we have up here in Ontario,which is probably very similar to the one in California,95% of the cars pass with flying colors,cars that mostly fail were built between 1980 to 1990,and largely as " the result of system malfunctions, not increased vehicle emissions."but Unbelievably, all vehicles built before 1987 are exempt from Drive Clean testing!!

Here is one for you. I have a hobby car - Mercury Capri RS 302 V8 like the Mustang GT. It has a supposedly (per Ford Motor) non emissions legal cam in it, a re-jeted (larger jets) 4bbl carb. In 2000 it tested cleaner than the Ranger I was using as my daily driver. It is now exempt since it is over 25 yrs old.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.