Thread: Polyurethane and High Humidity

Polyurethane and High Humidity

I know that when the Humidity is high, Polyurethane Varnish takes a real long time to cure.

What I was wondering was if I could add some Japan Drier or maybe Naptha to the polyurethane (oil based) to speed up the drying time when the humidity is high?

Right now the dew point and the humidity level are the same and the air is so thick, you could cut it with a knife. I have only to put another 2 coats of polyurethane on the walls and ceiling to finish the living room remodel and I want to get that done before next Wed. when th ecarpet is to be installed (don't want to drip any poly on the new carpet!)

Thanks, in advance - I know you experts will come through!
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Any way to AC the room during the finishing process? Window unit maybe? We use them in the log homes we build for this exact purpose and it really makes a difference. Hope this helps.

Glad you asked this question Kurt. I have to finish some floors in the next couple weeks. I'll keep an eye on this thread
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I'm curious....

What are you painting?
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps
    What are you painting?
    I saw "ceiling" and "polyurethane" in the same sentence and wasn't sure I wanted to know.

Just to report back, Bob Smalser recommended I use a little Japan Drier - about 2 tablespoons per pint and this worked beautifully. Sped up the drying time just enough.

For those asking, AC was out of the question as the fumes bother my breathing or else I would done the polyurethaning this past winter. (I probably should have used the water-based stuff - but that is now hind-sight).

I am polyurethaning the walls and ceiling of my living room that I have remodeled with Vertical Pine Paneling and made box-type beams for the ceiling. And as I said in my first post - has to be done by next Wed as I do not wish to drip on the new carpet.

I had been holding off for the weather to break, which apparently ain't happening.

Thanks for the suggestions and support, it really was a help - as usual around here when you ask a question! You almost always get the answer you need - what a great place, with such nice people.

Thanks

Kurt