Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darker Engravings

Darker Engravings

Right now I stain baltic birch put on 3 coats of clear poly then engrave . I've tried more power, and more scan gap. But no matter what I try the engraving just burns thru to the light colored BB underneath. I'd like to get a darker almost burnt in effect. I'm wondering if theres something I can coat the wood with after I stain it that will darken it.Thanks for any ideas in advance.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Right now I stain baltic birch put on 3 coats of clear poly then engrave . I've tried more power, and more scan gap. But no matter what I try the engraving just burns thru to the light colored BB underneath. I'd like to get a darker almost burnt in effect. I'm wondering if theres something I can coat the wood with after I stain it that will darken it.Thanks for any ideas in advance.
    Take it out of focus a little. That'll make the spot larger and it will help with making it darker. Might not get you to where you want to get, but it will help some.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I second Scott - take it out of focus until you get the balance between darkness and clarity. We do it all the time and works a charm.
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

I kept dropping the table bit by bit till I was a 1/4 inch below my gauge and saw no difference in darkness or clarity for that matter. should I keep going lower?
    ?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Is this the 3 or 6 mm ply stuff?
    I use cedar (not red) for not critical signs and art and it burns dark. Put a light coat of spray lacquer on first.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

3mm and I have 3 coats of clear poly on it
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I haven't done a great deal of wood in my laser life, but I've never found de-focusing to help much when I can't get a dark burn. You've dropped the table so the beam went in then out of focus, have you tried raising the table, so the beam never reaches focus? Probably won't help, but it's all I got!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

yea thats about it. I've now tried black powder coat which works but I really don't like the out come, kind makes the engraving look slightly blurred and I've tried all 3 of my different power glasses.
    I just spray painted a sheet and tried that and I like this look so maybe I'll go with paint instead of stain.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hi Bert.

Why don't you stain using a darker stain, then invert any images, and engrave through the stain so that you still get great contrast, but as a negative.
    I just did a large run of table centres in pine, where I engraved a table number through the stain into the lighter colour of pine, then clear coated afterwards.

Cheers,
    Mitchell
    Epilog Fusion 40 (60w)
    CAMaster CNC Router.
    Flame Polisher
    Range of sanders
    Drill Press
    Table Saw

Try running slower with less power - maybe 20% power and 35% speed. Out of focus will help but it tends to leave things a bit fuzzy around the edges.

Out of focus might not work on Chinese lasers since they pulse differently. Just a guess. It normally doesn't take much out of focus to make a difference.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I'll try that tomorrow I have some red oak stain thats pretty dark if I don't wipe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Tutty View Post
    Hi Bert.

Why don't you stain using a darker stain, then invert any images, and engrave through the stain so that you still get great contrast, but as a negative.
    I just did a large run of table centres in pine, where I engraved a table number through the stain into the lighter colour of pine, then clear coated afterwards.

Cheers,
    Mitchell
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert, since you have 3 coats of clear on it, you could color the engraved areas after lasering.JDS sells LazerDark spray in brown and black, as well as a clear top coat/sealer. I've experimented with them, didn't think the brown did anything for the wood I was using (basically no color change) but the black was very effective (I just really wanted a very dark brown, not black). I've skipped the clear coat and not noticed any problems such as the color coming off when rubbed but haven't tested that extensively, such as for water proofness. Probably any stain would do, spray or wipe, and you could select or mix just the color you want. With the LazerDark, I hit the engraving with a short burst and, for the black, I immediately wipe down the surface with a paper towel to remove overspray. I left the brown on long enough for the overspray to dry, hoping for a darker color on my wood samples, but didn't happen.

Hi Glenn ,
    I find that BB has these fine little veins in the grain and even with 3 coats of poly if I try color fill some of it fines its way into those veins. These are key rings I'm doing there small with a lot of detail and I'm doing 48 at a time, so it really needs to be a one shot deal engrave cut and done.
    do you put the laser dark on the bare wood and then engrave and it just darkens the engraving or does it darken the wood also?
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert

I think you're going to struggle with BB and other light woods such as maple. If you can increase your dpi to maximum that may help but I would find a wood that'll produce the result you want or get comfortable with color filling.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7