Thread: Chisel Brag

Blog Entries

Chisel Brag

Blue steel koyamaichi ebony handles
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Nice. I love my KIs parers. What width are those? 18mm and 30mm?
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    They look nice.

My hands would have problems gripping handles like those.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I really like the handles of my Blue Spruce paring chisels for comfort, they're easily the most comfortable to use parers I have. I bought these for flattening big joinery, so the leverage outweighs comfort.

Chris these are 24 and 36mm, not huge but big enough for the bridle joints i so commonly make.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post

Chris these are 24 and 36mm, not huge but big enough for the bridle joints i so commonly make.
    Cool. I'm sure they will be very nice to use for that task.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Nice chisels. But those handles look way too thin for my liking.

Blog Entries
    Thou sucketh.

Blog Entries
    Lol.

between these and the Snow White, today's been somewhat life changing.

Blog Entries
    Nice Brian!

I was looking at paring chisels earlier today. Oddly enough I was thinking about buying a smaller parer to go with my 36mm Koyamaichi (KI) white steel chisel. The ebony handles look very nice Brian. I am curious about why you went with blue steel?

Normally I would contact Stu at Tools From Japan but I know he is very busy and I am just thinking about trying one 24mm chisel. LV sells a 24 like the one I have. I have also been tempted to try one of the Nishiki paring chisels that Tools For Working Wood (TFWW) sells. I think the Nishiki's are a little longer and thinner than the KI Usu-Nomi but not as drastically long and thin as "slicks"?

Nice looking chisels. Really nice. I have ebony on my paring chisels, its held up really well.

Those are lifer chisels

Blog Entries
    Thanks Gents!

Mike, I went with blue steel because it should hold an edge slightly longer, which is a nice feature on a paring chisel. For most other papers I have which are either A2 or 01 they either need a micro bevel or the edge wears rapidly at a low angle. I don't need a forever edge, but I like only to hone the tools once a day.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the explanation Brian. I am still figuring out the difference between white & blue steel. It sounds like blue steel is typically a little tougher (wear resistant) and white steel may take a little keener edge but have a little more brittleness. I have read the blue steel is more forgiving and less impacted by heat treating. I think the blue steel may have more chemical similarity to the new powdered steels too. I'm not sure how much information may be left out of the relatively concise explanations I have read so far. I look forward to hearing how you like using those bad boys.

May all your teeth fall out, save one -
    so you can still have a toothache.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I would agree....those chisels are SWEET!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Brian. I am still figuring out the difference between white & blue steel. It sounds like blue steel is typically a little tougher (wear resistant) and white steel may take a little keener edge but have a little more brittleness. I have read the blue steel is more forgiving and less impacted by heat treating. I think the blue steel may have more chemical similarity to the new powdered steels too. I'm not sure how much information may be left out of the relatively concise explanations I have read so far. I look forward to hearing how you like using those bad boys.
    Kinda, Blue steel has chromium (wear resistance) but my understanding is that they are both very fine like powdered steel. Blue steel is more difficult to work. White steel might be slightly tougher, which is why I chose it for mortise chisels/striking chisels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    I would agree....those chisels are SWEET!
    Hehe, and I would still have reason to smile