Thread: How to glue wood to painted wood

How to glue wood to painted wood

I recently installed a Murphy Bed and attached bookcases. They are painted white and my patient wife is well pleased. I need to finish the project by placing trim moulding on the surfaces in nice square patterns
    The trim is essentially 3/4 x3/4 and I would like to pin it in place and hold it with glue instead of using larger nails. what glue would anyone recommend that will bond to fully cured paint? The contact side of the trim is bare wood. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I recently installed a Murphy Bed and attached bookcases. They are painted white and my patient wife is well pleased. I need to finish the project by placing trim moulding on the surfaces in nice square patterns
    The trim is essentially 3/4 x3/4 and I would like to pin it in place and hold it with glue instead of using larger nails. what glue would anyone recommend that will bond to fully cured paint? The contact side of the trim is bare wood. thanks
    I'd probably use a quality construction adhesive such as PL Premium. There are most likely a number of adhesives that would do the job, but few will match the bonding capability of PL.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

When I'm doing repairs on finished or painted furniture I usually use 2 part epoxy. In your case you could always scrpae away enough paint to allow a good bonding surface of clean wood to clean wood.

Blog Entries
    Knowing that the bond will be as strong as the paint's bond, construction adhesive would be fine IME.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

High quality construction adhesive and a micro-pinner to hold things in place.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you for the info. I thought of using epoxy but the idea of construction adhesive is a quick way to go. 😊

Just make sure you test for compatibility first.
    A lot of the solvents used in adhesives are the same ones used in paint removers.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thank you for the info. I thought of using epoxy but the idea of construction adhesive is a quick way to go. 
    I'd go along with the PL (polyurethane I think) construction adhesive. Not sure how confident I'd be in one of the liquid nails variants.

The key fact here is that it is only trim molding, which has no structural significance. Anything that will stick to the paint without dissolving or discoloring it will be ok. You could even shoot pin nails in and forget the glue. If this was in any way structural, it would be a different story! As others have pointed out, the join will only be as strong as the adhesion of the paint to the wood.

You might use paint - no glue squeeze out to clean up.

You might use paint
    Viable but - not too easily done - solution.
    Anyone that's destroyed a paint can lid that's "glued" shut by prying it open w/a screwdriver can attest to the holding power of dried paint.

The main problem is that paint need to fully cure to achieve that level of holding power. That can take a month or better. That may present a problem if the article needs to be put into service right away.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

What John T Barker said
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I would pin it in place with small brads and then carefully caulk the edges. It has nowhere to go.