Thread: Polyurethane in Humid Conditions

Polyurethane in Humid Conditions

I know that when the Humidity is high, Polyurethane Varnish takes a real long time to cure.

What I was wondering was if I could add some Japan Drier or maybe Naptha to the polyurethane (oil based) to speed up the drying time when the humidity is high?

Right now the dew point and the humidity level are the same and the air is so thick, you could cut it with a knife. I have only to put another 2 coats of polyurethane on the walls and ceiling to finish the living room remodel and I want to get that done before next Wed. when th ecarpet is to be installed (don't want to drip any poly on the new carpet!)

Thanks, in advance - I know you experts will come through!
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Kurt

Don't know about adding anything to poly but might suggest cranking up the AC which will lower the humidity in the house.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Add a couple tablespoons of Japan Drier to the pint can, if it's an oil-based finish.

Don't overdo it, however, as it makes the varnish more brittle and it will fail quicker.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Thanks, Bob
    I will try it - I have a couple of coats already applied, so I think it being a little "weaker" or brittle, shouldn't create much of a problem - but I'll err on the light side of teh drier to be safe.

David,

Already thought of that and the odor from the poly just about killed me.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Humid conditons...

A long time ago in a far away land, I used to refinish wooden headed golf clubs. One of the "secrets" was to place a pail of water next to a heat lamp for the curing of the head once it was dipped in the clear urethane. You can hasten the driying time but you can't rush the cureing time.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain