Thread: Getting back into it

Getting back into it

Several years ago I owned a Grizzly lathe. I turned for awhile, but the lathe turned me off to it and I sold everything. Stupid move. I'm trying to get back into it with a HF 10x18 lathe. This snow man is one of my first since getting back at it. I need practice, but I'm pretty happy so far. The wood is elm from my dad's wood pile. I just love working through a log to see what's in it. The hat is mystery Brazilian pallet wood. Critiques are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USMC '97-'01

Looks great! Super cool holiday gift or decoration.

Cute snowman Adam, he'd look a lot cuter if you were to draw in his eyes and mouth with a marker.
    Len

Thanks guys. Totally agree Len, my wife refused to let me. She liked it like that. I wanted to take chunks of ipe and epoxy them on to look like coal eyes and mouth. This was for her boss and that's what she wanted though. I'm gonna play with the designs of them as I have been asked to make a few more. I'm just happy I was able to get okay proportions. I need to work on the skew, definitely out of practice.
    USMC '97-'01

Great looking snowman! I think it looks fine without the eyes! Have fun turning your commission work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!