Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Add me to the list - Sawstop saved my thumb

Add me to the list - Sawstop saved my thumb

Cutting ply. Moved offcut with left hand. Thumb was too close to blade and bam , tip of thumb went into blade and blade was gone as soon as I felt the knick. Loud bang like a balloon pop. Bandaid instead of ER trip. Never wanted to test the saw but glad I had it tonight. I take full responsbility for my error. These gingerbread wooden houses will have a very special memory for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

A happy ending!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

How high did you jump when it went BANG!

It's good to hear that major trouble was averted.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Mike, wow!! Nice to see "two" thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    When it goes off on the contractor, the entire saw jumps and moves a little. With cast iron wings, that saw is nearly 400lbs. It's impressive.

Really glad your okay.. It just shows that its not just the newbies that get hurt.. Its the fella's who have been at it long enough to be calm as well.

Thanks for sharing..

Isn't it mostly people who have been at it for a long while (and thus, complacent) who tend to get hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Aspö View Post
    Isn't it mostly people who have been at it for a long while (and thus, complacent) who tend to get hurt?
    No, it's mostly people who use table saws that get hurt by table saws. Newbies, veterans, the careful sorts, the fool hardy, tired, fresh off a good nights sleep, first day at a new job....all sorts. Tables saws are not prejudiced. They will cut anyone.

Mike, I'm so glad this ended well. This sort of thing is always on my mind as I work daily with 3 saws none of which are SS. Do you think knowing the flesh sensor is there makes one complacent or not really? Sure makes a cool wall ornament....big aluminum Swiss cheese with blade imbedded. Like a monument of a tragedy averted.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Good to see that it worked. Having the flesh sensor does not make me complacent at all. Several of my customers have had horrific accidents.

You can love or hate the politics wrapped around SS but you have got to respect the technology! Glad to see you're OK and still able to finish the houses.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post

It's good to hear that major trouble was averted.
    On the PCS it is totally anti-climactic. I picked up a piece with a strip of metal tape measure stuck to it (my error, I shouldn't have set that piece tape side down right next to the other pieces). The blade was there and then it wasn't. There was just a "thunk" sound and an immediate realization of my error . The cartridge and blade now hang on the wall to remind me to be more cautious.

Glad to hear it did what it is supposed to Mike. I also do not take the system for granted. If anything I am even more aware of my attention to safety procedures. Maybe we should all just paint our table inserts red (?)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-16-2014 at 8:45 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It happened in a flash. Just as I felt the knick, pop, blade was stopped and gone. DC is on and loud. Wife looked up and she said what happened. I had a smaile on my face. thumb bled - it was not the graze on the hotdog I had seen in a demo but a bandaid and neosporin stopped it in short order.

I am more cautious about what I cut because of the blade - meaning check for metal on questionable wood from other shops/people.

No way am I complacent, juse stupid for wnting my offcut perfect with grabbing one of the two grippers or push stick on top of my saw to the left of the fence. RK was on. safety glasses were on. It was just me.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I am glad to see that it worked...I am thinking of buying one for myself.

Blog Entries
    Mike,

I'm glad the safety feature on the saw worked as advertised. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

PHM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    I am glad to see that it worked...I am thinking of buying one for myself.
    I am too Chris. Events like what happened to Mike are very compelling.

PHM