Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sanding discs.. what do you like ?

Hmm, Lee, I wonder what is going on. I haven't had them come flying off, and can get a couple of bowls per disc. High speed? Slow speed? Too much pressure? Our results are so much different.

robo hippy

Wow. Great advice here.

I ordered some of the new wave discs from Lee Valley. Just a few to try them out. I think its true I am putting too much pressure on the pad and overheating it..

Vince's blue discs sound like the disc to try ..

I have used the Norton Dry Ice, Vince's Blue, Green and Tan disks, and Klingspors disks (straight and wave). I like the Dry Ice when I use the lowest grits though Vince's Green seem to work well. The blue disks seem too stiff. In the 180-320 grit I use Vince's disks - they work very well. I also like his interface pads, especially the rounded ones for inside of bowls. at 320 and above I tend to hand sand with lubrication.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Try Vince's mandrel. I find it better than the ones I used to use from 2Sand, which ripped above the mandrel as you say.

Vince is great, but I have started using abranet discs from 2sand.com. Abranet has a mesh build and the dust goes through and won't clog as fast. You can use air to blow it out clean or tap on the lathe. Works great and lasts a long time. Cost is on par maybe a bit higher but it lasts a long time. Been informed Vince carries Abranet as well and will probably give them a try to see the price difference. Whichever you use, use it like someone else bought them is the old saying.

Marry Christmas all,
    Marc
    Last edited by Marc Tuunanen; 12-17-2014 at 9:21 PM.

don't know Robo, I even have a hard time pulling off the white. My mandrels are from woodnwonders and I thought I would try different discs before I blame the mandels. I have pads for every grit and don't want to change them. The backing sticks on better. I tried every speed and pressure but the greens fly off quite often. Today I sanded three bowls that required a lot of infill and I lost one white on the edge of the bowl. Perhaps the pads will be different from different suppliers but the whites work where the blues and greens do not on mine. If I experience something else down the line I will report it.

My preferred supplier of disks is http://www.abrasiveresource.com/ They are a local Minnesota business and give our turning club a discount on all purchases and a quantity discount on larger purchases. Shipping is always free which helps in reducing the unit cost per disk. They had a Black Friday special recently and I stocked up on 3" blue disks.

I have no affiliation with this company other than a happy customer.

I tried the wavy discs today .. ( they arrived ) . They seem super durable compared to the Klingspor.. What do folks think of those ?

One more vote for Vince I use the rubber disc cleaner between sanding, just ordered more blue.

Just a FYI, I had a small issue with some of my new Green discs that has been resolved! If you had an issue with these or any of my discs please contact me for replacement discs.
    Thank you, Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

I have been using Vince's blue disks for some time now and just ordered more. I do not have anyone else to compare to but our turning club recommended his disc. They seem to last, I clean them with the rubber sander cleaner, just use light pressure. I would suggest checking the disc every so often while sanding it makes cleaning them easer and keeps them from building up excessive material. Between grit grades I dust what ever I am sanding, and the dust is sucked into my DC system. I use a bench brush. I always run my DC system while sanding on the lathe.

The Indasa Rhynogrip discs cost about 60% more than the blue discs (from 2Sand). Anyone have an opinion on whether the longer life is worth 60%?

Are Vince's blue discs the same product as the 2Sand blue? I'll give them a try. I've always used the discs from 2Sand and they seem fine, but I sure do go through them.

Yes I prefer the indasa to the blue discs. I almost prefer indasa to abranet even on a ros if it weren't for the dust collection of abranet.

Indasa rhynogrit lasts so darn long it's good for misers like me.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-08-2015 at 10:16 PM.

I've tried a lot of disks since this thread started and most all are pretty good. I still think the best bang for the buck is Rhynogrip in the 36x39" sheets. I cut it lengthwise with a utility knife and cross wise with scissors from harbor freight. I put the square on the pad then trim it round with scissors. I know this sounds time consuming but I prefer it to a perfect die cut edge. I figured 3" disks were costing .11 each which is cheap for good quality.

I think all the above mentioned discs do a good job at drill speeds. However I use air grinders a lot and at 10,000 rpm only one brand never fails. Power Lock discs are made of very heavy paper and never go flying. A bit higher I agree. ALWAYS buy the flex edge discs for wood--the standard stiff discs are for metal--very good for that by the way. This combination requires very light pressure when sanding and last a long time.