Thread: Question about Setting up an Excaliber Overarm with an Incra TS Fence

Question about Setting up an Excaliber Overarm with an Incra TS Fence

Morning all,

I've been kicking the idea around of getting the Excaliber Overarm Guard for my table saw but I just thought of a question. It appears to be designed to attach to the right side of the saw table. I have an Incra TS fence system where the positioner is centered on the table and extends over the table edge as needed to accommodate the width of cut. With that positioner set dead in the middle of the table, the overarm guard would need to installed off-center at the table edge. Here's the question (finally): Does the guard that actually sits over the TS blade have adjustments so that it can be reset in alignment with the blade with the post being off-center of the table? Looking at pictures it seems that with the hinge/lever system to allow the guard to be raised and lowered, this would require any such adjustment to be above that assembly and it seems to be a welded joint above it. I'm thinking that there would be no way to have the guard aligned with the blade, which would likely just drive me nuts and be a deal-breaker.

Hope that question reads as clearly as it seems in my mind..

Thanks, Brian
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Brian, I have this overarm Guard and it is need to be install over center of blade. I don't see any possible adjustment you can make to reposition column. Please see manual -http://www.general.ca/products/2_excalibur/50-EXBC.html.
    Ed.

Thanks Ed! And I really appreciate that link. That link shows a really good picture of the orientation of the post to the table. It looks like the post may be offset enough towards the back edge of the table to clear the Incra positioner. I'll take some measurements of the blade position on my saw and try to find an Excaliber in a store around here to see if this will work.

Thanks, Brian
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I have the Excalibur Overarm Guard but not the Incra fence system. The guard arm on mine is slightly offset towards the back of the saw, but I can't tell you if the Incra would clear it. General makes a ceiling mount model of the blade guard, not sure if that would work in your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Crocker View Post
    I have the Excalibur Overarm Guard but not the Incra fence system. The guard arm on mine is slightly offset towards the back of the saw, but I can't tell you if the Incra would clear it. General makes a ceiling mount model of the blade guard, not sure if that would work in your situation.
    Thanks Clay. Re: ceiling mount - I had not considered that. Hmm. Food for thought. Thanks!!
    Brian

Brian, I have both the Incra and Excalibur set up on my Jet Cabinet saw. You simply mount the column slightly back from the center. You can also move your Incra a few inches forward if need be. I left mine centered, haven't had any issues. I also called Incra to discuss before purchasing the Excalibur. Any questions, give Incra a call....

GH

If you take a close look at your Incra, you'll see that there's no reason you HAVE to have the positioner centered. IIRC, all of the mounting points are in "t-track" channels, so you can probably shift the carriage mechanism forward (to the front of the saw) or back as desired. I'm going to be investigating this myself tonite with my Incra, for a different reason.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Crocker View Post
    .General makes a ceiling mount model of the blade guard, not sure if that would work in your situation.
    Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

Gary, John,

You are correct. I just checked that out this morning. For whatever reason I didn't realize that the positioner could be moved off table center. I also took a few measurements wrt to blade center. Blade center comes in right at 1.5" behind the positioner. I suspect pretty strongly now with the actual guard over the blade being a bit forward of the centerline of the overarm and the post, that I can fit the post in behind without having to move the positioner. I found a store locally that has one on display. Hopefully I have some time today to stop in there and check it out.

Thought long and hard about Clay's suggestion of a ceiling mount which I could do easily. But in the end I decided I wanted the saw to be able shift around a bit as I occasionally rearrange for better workflow around my jointer and planer when I use them. It's pretty tight quarters in my basement shop.

I appreciate everyone's responses. It's been very helpful!

Thanks, Brian
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 12-24-2014 at 9:28 AM.
    Brian