Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser Options

you don't have to use the full power as you can adjust it but in my opinion its better to have a little more power than you need you will adjust the power and speed ratio to get the effect you need

Quote Originally Posted by jon christlieb View Post
    Tim, that is what I need to know. Would you suggest a 40w or 60w for that application? Thanks for your insight....
    I'll have to defer to someone else who has a more powerful machine and works with Powder Coatings. I can just say for sure, my 35 watt machine isn't enough to do that type of work.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Thank you Tim for the info.

I've found powder coatings work better for us with multiple passes anyway. Too much heat in them will stain the surrounding coating.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Like most things powder coat is not all the same. The biggest difference you'll notice as an engraver is the variable thickness of the application. Typically, in industrial applications, powder coat is roboticly applied while in custom applications is it hand applied and this is where the big variance shows up most often. Regardless of the application though I always run at least two passes with the last one being a "clean-up" pass.

My machine is a 45 watt so I'm a little surprised that Tim has trouble with his 35 watt machine. Anodized aluminum is one of the easier materials to engrave and can be achieved easily with even a 25 watt machine.

Here's an example of a one off panel with powder coat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-18-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I am doing the powdercoating myself and know that the thickness will vary (part of the design). Could the lens be the variance between your two machines?

Also any new opinions on Full Spectrum Laser? Just curious.....

Jon I have a 60 watt Rabbit see my signature, If you want I can do some samples for you or I'm sure Ray at Rabbit will do samples for you also. I don't do anything with cermark so I don't have any but I do have Baltic Birch, leather, anodized Alum.ceramic tile, and granite on hand, as I'm sure Ray has all that too.Let me know what you might like and cover shipping and were good.
    Also almost everyone here uses corel to design and then transfer to laser.no big deal.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks Bert

If you've read the forums here and elsewhere you know to Stay away from Full Spectrum. Cheap machines, no support.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thats what I kept reading. I was really hoping to stay in the US until I read the reviews for them