Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Millers Falls Permaloid Chisels???

Question Millers Falls Permaloid Chisels???

Got this little 1/2" bevel edge chisel off of Feebay
    IMAG0059.jpg
    Seller claimed it is a Millers Falls Permaloid....
    IMAG0061.jpg
    Haven't found any markings on it, though. Back isn't too bad, either
    IMAG0060.jpg
    But, when i went looking over at Millers Falls web site....could not find any chisels listed, nada.
    So, any ideas WHAT this little critter is/was? Price was ~$5 with free shipping.....

It looks like something Miller's Falls would have made.

I'm guessing the permaloid is the handle. Made when plastics were just coming in. That's all I got.

Blog Entries
    They did make permaloid handled chisels as well as permaloid handled planes. The planes are pretty cool, though I prefer a wood handle. I do not know what years. They had something to the effect of "Made in USA" stamped in the handle in white lettering. I cannot remember exactly.

Permaloid sounds like celluloid+permanent. Celluloid was invented in the 19th. C. as a substitute for ivory billiard balls. Only,they could explode if hit too hard!!

This type plastic had been around LONG before this chisel was made.

Permaloid was used by Millers Falls in the 1930s.

https://workingbyhand.wordpress.com/tag/permaloid/

Yes - Millers Falls

Google "Millers Falls permaloid chisels" in Google Images

So, it would appear that all the white markings have been worn off. Will give it a tune up, and see how it goes.

I see chisels like that at garage sales frequently for $.25 - $.75. Call them "leaverites" (leave 'er right there).
    Last edited by Mel Miller; 12-18-2014 at 11:27 AM.

I have encountered few worthless tools made BEFORE world war 2. I would not turn those chisels down when available at
    yard sale prices.

Those look like 1950's design to me. They could be any obscure old brand. I doubt the name would just be worn off.

Seems that Millers Falls did and entire line up of that red plastic handle stuff...back in the 30s.

IF this is one of them, then maybe 75 years of being used MIGHT have rubbed of the white paint of the logo.

Will give a test drive later. Bevel is sharp, back seems to be flat. Might be ok...

I believe Millers Falls made those plastic handled chisels for many years. My 1938 Millers Falls catalog shows the Permaloid handle planes and braces, but NO chisels. The plastic handle chisels were not top quality MF tools. More like the Stanley handyman line of cheap homeowner grade tools.

Really?? Go out and just try to buy that CHEAP permaloid hand plane sometime.......

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Really?? Go out and just try to buy that CHEAP permaloid hand plane sometime.......
    If you had accurately read my post it says: "The plastic handle chisels were not top quality".
    The reason the Permaloid handle plane brings good money (to collectors) is the scarce handles, not that the plane itself is any better. MF didn't sell very many of those planes for whatever reason.