Thread: stopped bevel opposite tablesaw tilt?

stopped bevel opposite tablesaw tilt?

So I needed to put a stopped bevel on a roughly 1"x2"x12" piece of maple I went to the table saw, tilted the blade and then realized, "Oh, actually I can't do this. The blade tilts the wrong way."

Normally I would flip the work piece end for end, but seeing as its a stopped bevel, can't do that either.

Is there a simple solution I'm totally blanking on, or do stopped bevels have this problem unless they happen to be angled with the blade tilt? (I'm mostly interested if there is a table saw solution. Or do I have to go other routes such as router table, hand cut, bandsaw, etc?)

Thanks,
    Ty

Blog Entries
    A picture or drawing would help but, could you run the piece vertically for the second cut?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-16-2014 at 4:10 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Put your fence on the other side of the blade. It can be a bit awkward so be careful.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Glenn, those pictures describe exactly what i'm talking about. Did you put those sketches together?

By running the piece vertically, do you mean to stand it on end and skew the piece, so that the height of the blade is what determines how long of a bevel you can have? I did need a bevel slightly longer than the height of the blade...

Mike, I'm not sure how putting the fence on the other side helps, unless I'm misunderstanding. Either way the angle of the cut will be limited by the feed direction and blade tilt.

If you have a right tilt saw, put the fence to the left of the blade and you can bevel the piece in Glenn's first picture. If it were a left tilt saw, you would leave the fence on the right side (normal side). Mike is right, it's a bit awkward because you have to change the direction of pressure. It's akin to writing with your opposing hand.
    -Lud

I realized I haven't given enough information. The bevel is less than 45 degrees. I get now what all of you were saying about putting the piece vertical and switching the fence sides. I wasn't getting it. Both of these solutions only work with a 45 degree bevel no? I drew a kinda crappy pic below to illustrate.
    Stopped bevel.png
    I actually just had an epiphany, looking at the pic. I could drop the work piece onto the blade with it turned around.
    Is that the simplest solution for this?

edit: looks like I didn't joint that piece very well in the pic
    Last edited by Tyler Keniston; 12-16-2014 at 8:44 PM.