Thread: Craigs List question

Craigs List question

How does CL make their money? I don't see any ads.

Maybe by selling my looking habits to some list?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

They charge employers for posting job listings. They may charge others, but I know they charge for job listings.

Also funded by Ebay. 25% owner.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Ads for cars and trucks for sale cost $5 to post as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Ads for cars and trucks for sale cost $5 to post as well.
    This may be for dealerships, but by-owner vehicle sales & vehicle part sales are free.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Thanks for the clarification Mike. I've never sold a car on CL but I noticed the fee note when posting an ad one day.

Craigslist charges $75 for job postings in San Francisco, $25 for job postings in six other markets, and $10 for a broker to post an apartment in New York City. I see they are now charging for $5 for dealers to post car ads and for dealers to post tickets for sale.

The company has supposedly never made a profit and just breaks even. They must be doing okay as they currently have a number of job openings in San Francisco. They offer a list of benefits that rivals what Google offers.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 12-17-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks guys,

Very interesting.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Didn't they also start charging fees for personal adds? This would make sense, since supposedly most of them involve some type of money exchange.

If Ebay is a partial owner, then why has it not been completely commercialized?

I do remember the original "Craig's List" back in the early 90s. It was just an email listing of concerts in the SF bay area.

Steve

I don't see any charges for personal ads. They did starting charging for "adult services" ads in 2010, but not long afterward they stopped doing "adult services" ads altogether.

I have twice gotten invoices for $0 after listing something. That suggests they are at least thinking about charging. I hope not!

It is my understanding (could be right, could be wrong) that the original "Craig" wants it to stay as free a service as possible. Ebay just purchased a part of it so they could make sure it would never become a big competitor.

A "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer" type of thing.