Thread: Nozzle alignment

Nozzle alignment

Hi I do think trying to align the mirror on the nozzle is very difficult to know when you have it right the other mirrors may take a bit of time but you can see what you’re doing and know when they are hitting the right spot has anyone any good way of doing this ? Thanks I have a Shenhui 80w reci cheers Frank

Go to Rabbit Laser USA and in the tutorials Ray explains exactly how to do an alignment, follow it step by step and everything will be in perfect alignment or darn close anyway.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

For aligning the last mirror I lower the table several inches and fire onto a piece of thermal paper. The goal is to make a nice filled in circle on the thermal paper about the size of a nickel or quarter. If it is half-moon or crescent shaped then it needs adjustment.

This is also a good quick way to check alignment. If you get a nice filled in disk when fired at various locations on the table then you can be sure that your alignment is good.
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 12-17-2014 at 6:35 PM.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

So is a generally accepted way among engravers to check alinement

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    For aligning the last mirror I lower the table several inches and fire onto a piece of thermal paper. The goal is to make a nice filled in circle on the thermal paper about the size of a nickel or quarter. If it is half-moon or crescent shaped then it needs adjustment.

This is also a good quick way to check alignment. If you get a nice filled in disk when fired at various locations on the table then you can be sure that your alignment is good.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    So is a generally accepted way among engravers to check alinement
    I'm not sure I understand the question, I was just sharing how I do it...
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Bert, to give you another flavour of nozzle alignment, I do mine like this.

I stick a peice of masking tape on the bottom of the nozzle firmly. I fire the laser for 0.1 seconds. I remove the nozzle and look down the cone and see if it is nice and central. I do this check near each corner. So long as the beam does has some clearance from the nozzle I am happy.

After I am done, I clean the lens and mirrors just in case the vapour from the masking tape has smeared my lens etc.

Cheers
    Keith
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

thank you that has been a big help and some good options
    cheers Frank