Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Thanks for wanting to help keep the lights on here.
    Ditto.

Plus - chicks in bars dig it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

FWIW, it's possibly a truism to say that it's hard to build a bench without a bench, but I'll say it anyway. I've built a number of these over the years:

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/w...l/worktabl.htm

I started building them during my airplane building days. I've given away plenty and built plenty. Anyway, these are really conveniently sized to make efficient use of two sheets of plywood and a handful of 2X4s, and can be built cheaply in just a couple of hours. You just build it right on the floor of your space if you want to...that's how I do it. I have my lumber yard, or Home Depot or whoever, cut the plywood to size, and then all I have to do is cut some 2X4s and drive screws. They're quite sturdy. They're small enough to move around into whatever configuration you want. They're cheap and easy enough to build that you won't think twice drilling holes in them or modifying them. Most importantly, you can use them as a temporary bench to build your real bench, if you end up doing that, and them use them for whatever when you're done.

Welcome

Sorry, I have no pictures, but, something to consider in a small shop.

Consider the height of the things in your shop and then consider the flow of materials in your shop.

Assume that you purchase a table saw that is 3 feet tall and you purchase or build a bench that is 3 feet 1 inch tall. In a cramped space, wood that runs through the table saw may then hit the bench.

I built a router table thing into my table saw (to the right of the blade). This saves space.

My table saw is shorter than my bench... well, my basement floor is sloped....

Oh, and the chest freezer that is near my bench is taller than my bench.

My shop is very cramped.

Keith, thanks for the words of wisdom. Much appreciated. Just getting started and picked up a Dewalt table saw off of Craig's list last night. In new condition. Slowly getting all the stuff needed to get started.

I have a cabin in the Georgia mountains and I'm having issues with carpenter bees so my first little project is to build some traps, before I have to build a new cabin (lol).

My goal is to retire up there and build my workshop. Just gearing up so boredom doesn't set in when I get up there.

Purchasing a band saw is probably next I would think.

Happy New Year to all
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Sorry, I have no pictures, but, something to consider in a small shop.

Consider the height of the things in your shop and then consider the flow of materials in your shop.

Assume that you purchase a table saw that is 3 feet tall and you purchase or build a bench that is 3 feet 1 inch tall. In a cramped space, wood that runs through the table saw may then hit the bench.

I built a router table thing into my table saw (to the right of the blade). This saves space.

My table saw is shorter than my bench... well, my basement floor is sloped....

Oh, and the chest freezer that is near my bench is taller than my bench.

My shop is very cramped.
    However, it is well laid out.