Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Forum

New to Forum

Just wanted to introduce myself. Looking forward to new ways of purchasing and starting new projects. I'm sure I will learn a lot from each one of you when the time comes.

I'm just gathering tooling at this point (Dewalt 12"sliding compound miter, Plunge router, Circular saw, jig saw, clamps, etc). I have the basic tools and skills.

Now getting ready to start with my first build which will be a work table. Looked on the internet and saw some pretty cool ones that would work.

I would like to see some pics of yours if you have any. Just trying to get ideas, and having the proper layout in my shop, which is in progress as well. Shop is on the small side, 28' x 10'

Look forward to hearing from you all. "HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY"

Thanks, Rick

You may want to look into hand tools. Figuring out how to use hand tools was the big thing that revolutionized wood working for me. Most of all, I found learning to get things really sharp helpful.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the creek. There are lots of good designs out there for work benches. Feel free to ask your questions.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Welcome Rick! Ask away!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks for the warm welcome! After reading some blogs, It's become apparent that hand tools are going to be the big one, as some of you had mentioned.

Welcome aboard Rick, this is a great place to learn and grow as a woodworker.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Welcome, and don't be bashful.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Welcome to the Creek Rick! Wade right in.....the water's fine!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Welcome. I started with a rolling work table that included storage for things. By using large T-nuts I could move the vise position top front, end or centered. This lasted me many years and still serves mu dad as his sharpening station.

m-mobil table.jpg

Being mobile was very helpful as I worked through what my shop configuration would eventually become. I did go through the trouble of making a replaceable hardwood top. This was a waste of time as I beat on it for nearly a decade and dad is still at it with the original top still in great shape.

I made it the same height (or just a bit shy) as my tablesaw so it served as an outfeed table, I clamped benchtop tools to it. Used it as an assembly table and threw a tarp over it as a finishing station. IIRC it was under $100 in materials and paid for itself time and time again while I sorted things out.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-18-2014 at 12:25 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Welcome Rick,

I am a Wheelchair Woodworker. Therefore my shop design criteria is significantly different that most people. My shop takes up about half of my over-sized 3-car garage. I used to be a general contractor and so when I first started in woodworking I was all about my power tools. 3 years later I have found that, while I still utilize my power tools, I really enjoy using hand tools far more than I ever thought I would. So, this spring I completely changed my shop layout. Now I have my workbench in the center with my machines surrounding it. I also scrapped my old A-Frame style wood rack that sat in front of my 9' single overhead door. It had 3 sets of arms to hold lumber facing into the garage and plywood on the back so that you had to open the garage door and go outside to get at it. Now I have new plywood rack that I stole from Marc Spagnuolo. And I built a wall just inside that 9' door and now I have 8 levels for lumber storage which means I don't have to unload and reload 75bf of lumber just to get the exact piece I want.

Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at to say that you should lay out your shop based on how you "expect" to work, but be prepared a few years down the road to move some things around after you figure out how "actually" work. Below is a link to my shop remodel thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...del&highlight=
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Well WELCOME!!!!! We have al been there and in your shoes. I've been doing this for 30+ years. First real tool, was my dads worm-drive skill saw and drill (50's). First TS was a purchase from a start-up business called Lowes. Little table top saw. What a total piece of crap. I'd say in the tool dept, a TS is a great first investment. If you can have 220v, then go ahead and get a cabinet saw. Look on CL and find an old piece of American iron, and start there. I use to save a little out of every payday (with wife's buyin) and at the end of the year, get one decent tool. I got a lunchbox planer first so i could buy rough lumber and save some $$. I used hand planes to flatten and get that first true edge then plane to get two parallel faces then the TS to final rip. As you get money a powered jointer can be had reasonable and is a nice addition. Finally a good bandsaw. Don't buy wood if you can avoid it from big box stores it will just infuriate you. use woodweb or woodfinder to get local sources for reasonable lumber. You will be surprised at whats avail around you. Learn to sharpen! A skill I did not master for a long time. Hand planes and chisels are great and a good skill to master. Next a good marking tools i.e. precision squares, bevel gauges. Final word of wisdom, don't sacrifice and get crappy tools. As they say you only buy a good tool once. I been there done that and learned from the mistake. I learned patience. Save that coin till i had enough to get a good one (what ever that one was).

Bench plans here's a good one

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/b...s-package.aspx

Great source here people are good to share, don't hesitate to ask.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Welcome Rick,

I am a Wheelchair Woodworker. Therefore my shop design criteria is significantly different that most people. My shop takes up about half of my over-sized 3-car garage. I used to be a general contractor and so when I first started in woodworking I was all about my power tools. 3 years later I have found that, while I still utilize my power tools, I really enjoy using hand tools far more than I ever thought I would. So, this spring I completely changed my shop layout. Now I have my workbench in the center with my machines surrounding it. I also scrapped my old A-Frame style wood rack that sat in front of my 9' single overhead door. It had 3 sets of arms to hold lumber facing into the garage and plywood on the back so that you had to open the garage door and go outside to get at it. Now I have new plywood rack that I stole from Marc Spagnuolo. And I built a wall just inside that 9' door and now I have 8 levels for lumber storage which means I don't have to unload and reload 75bf of lumber just to get the exact piece I want.

Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at to say that you should lay out your shop based on how you "expect" to work, but be prepared a few years down the road to move some things around after you figure out how "actually" work. Below is a link to my shop remodel thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...del&highlight=
    That's some great information. I looked at your older posts and really like the wood storage unit you built. What a great idea for sure. I was thinking of making a storage area under bench but like that much better. Just need to lay it out and decide.
    Thanks for the feedback.

To all: Thanks, You guys really have it together for sure. Look forward to my new journey in wood working with all of you guys support.

P.S. What does it cost to be a contributor and how do I go about making that happen?

Rick,

The suggested donation is $6 annually. There is a donate button on the light blue ribbon at the top of the page. There you will find different methods of making your donation via Pay Pal or snail mail, for example.

Thanks for wanting to help keep the lights on here.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ekstrom View Post
    That's some great information. I looked at your older posts and really like the wood storage unit you built. What a great idea for sure. I was thinking of making a storage area under bench but like that much better. Just need to lay it out and decide.
    Thanks for the feedback.

To all: Thanks, You guys really have it together for sure. Look forward to my new journey in wood working with all of you guys support.

P.S. What does it cost to be a contributor and how do I go about making that happen?

Are you talking about the sheet goods rack or lumber rack? The lumber rack is massively strong. Each vertical piece is 2x6, each horizontal member is 2-2x6 laminated together with dados for the vertical pieces, and at each end is a sandwidh of a full height 2x6 with dados for the horizontals with 2x6 spacers in between. Then the ends are attached to at least 2 studs. I know it's overbuilt but I sure never have to worry about how much lumber I stack on it.

Oh, and I just used the heavy duty version of closet shelf brackets for each level. The vertical tracks are attached with with 1 1/2" screws and I have the tracks spaced less than 18" apart, so they are plenty strong enough.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Rick, welcome to SMC. A sturdy work bench is not only educational to build it can be the foundation to your shop. This thread has dozens of shop made benches and is a great source of inspiration: Show us your Bench
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney