Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are car drivers getting worse or is it....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Or in Italy.

Mike
    China! People with cars driving like they are on bicycles. I saw a man on a motorcycle carrying an oversize load turnig left on a red light into oncoming traffic while talking on his mobile. Unfortunately, that is not unusual.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Happened yes. morning,and is just plain crazy;

Sm-med. market,250k people.....newish devided 4 lane hiway with proper/good/wide paved shoulders.I'm in the R lane doin the speed limit of 65,good following distance.Folks in the L lane all doin 5 over,likewise good intervals.Everyone seemed to be just playing real nice.

Smallish import with with young female starts coming over in my lane?No biggy,I move over 1/2 lane to the R...she passes.She then gets more in my lane and then does the same to the poor guy who's in the fast lane.No biggy,he moves over to his L.You can see where this is headed.

Yup,for the next several miles this girl is literally moving traffic(and we were really all being VERY polite)like a pinball game....half moving to our R. and the left laners being pushed to their shoulder.I know she was texting,but it really looked like a drunk weaving back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Smith View Post
    Happened yes. morning,and is just plain crazy;

Sm-med. market,250k people.....newish devided 4 lane hiway with proper/good/wide paved shoulders.I'm in the R lane doin the speed limit of 65,good following distance.Folks in the L lane all doin 5 over,likewise good intervals.Everyone seemed to be just playing real nice.

Smallish import with with young female starts coming over in my lane?No biggy,I move over 1/2 lane to the R...she passes.She then gets more in my lane and then does the same to the poor guy who's in the fast lane.No biggy,he moves over to his L.You can see where this is headed.

Yup,for the next several miles this girl is literally moving traffic(and we were really all being VERY polite)like a pinball game....half moving to our R. and the left laners being pushed to their shoulder.I know she was texting,but it really looked like a drunk weaving back and forth.
    I find this habit of texting while driving to be very disturbing. Whatever happened to giving undivided attention to the task of driving? Is the accident rate going to increase rapidly becuase some texter cannot pay attention to the road. I recall a story where 5 teenage girls were killed when the driver, who was texting, crossed over the line and crashed head-on with another vehicle. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Or in Italy.

Mike
    You ever want to see your life flash before your eyes, be a passenger in a cab in Rome..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Something that kills me for the past few years is virtually no one uses turn signals anymore.
    Perhaps if they required turn signals in the video games where most of today's new drivers learned to aim a car they would use them by second nature the way many of us do. Using turn signals is not a conscious operation for me. When I am approaching the turn my finger just flips the lever; its like magic. I can understand how many folks who find their recreation in a couch-bound position might lack the strength to flip the little lever .

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    Whatever happened to giving undivided attention to the task of driving?
    You have hit the nail on the head. With Driver's Education a thing of the past in our schools, very few folks are lucky enough to be taught to drive anymore. They are taught how to aim a car and that is about it. If there isn't a sign to tell them the speed, where to stop and where to park, they are lost and heaven help anyone between them and the next set of instructions .

This thread has obviously hit one of my peeves; I'll be quiet now
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-18-2014 at 9:35 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

And the government keeps spending billions creating new traffic patterns that don't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    You have hit the nail on the head. With Driver's Education a thing of the past in our schools, very few folks are lucky enough to be taught to drive anymore. They are taught how to aim a car and that is about it. If there isn't a sign to tell them the speed, where to stop and where to park, they are lost and heaven help anyone between them and the next set of instructions .
    The state of Minnesota still requires driver education and behind the wheel training even though most drivers ed is done through private driving schools now. I suspect most states are similar. Just because public schools aren't doing it doesn't mean there isn't still training done. I took drivers ed classroom training through the public schools, but my parents had to pay extra for it and it was after school. I went to a private school for behind the wheel. The public schools dropped behind the wheel for liability reasons even though car dealers let them use cars for free.

The state of Minnesota is requiring new drivers to have 40 hours driving with an adult before taking the test starting Jan 1. The parent also has to take a 90 minute course. The driver testing centers are totally booked until year end so teens can avoid the new rules. I think parents are probably pushing their teens to take the test now so the parents don't have to take the time to go the class.

My biggest pet peeve is all these yo yo's that don't know what right of way is or means. The'll pull up to a 4 way stop and just stop and go doesn't matter that 3 other cars were there first. Ghess, or coming on the highway they won't slow for car coming on there left. many times I can't move over cause a cars next to me and these idiots just keep pulling in even if there gonna hit you.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Oh goodie...driving pet peeves!

(1) Everyone thinks they are an above-average driver...including yours truly!
    (2) Signaling is so easy to do yet it is rarely done.
    (3) Merging with traffic is much easier if you are moving and don't come to a dead stop.
    (4) All 2 or 3 or 4 lanes don't need to be clear for you to pull out.
    (5) Yield doesn't necessarily mean Stop.
    (6) Aggressive drivers are just as bad as timid drivers.
    (7) When driving a car JUST DRIVE...DO NOTHING ELSE!!!

Thank you
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Oh goodie...driving pet peeves!

(1) Everyone thinks they are an above-average driver...including yours truly!
    (2) Signaling is so easy to do yet it is rarely done.

Does turning your signal on halfway through the turn count as using your turn signals? I see that a fair bit.

(3) Merging with traffic is much easier if you are moving and don't come to a dead stop.
    (4) All 2 or 3 or 4 lanes don't need to be clear for you to pull out.
    (5) Yield doesn't necessarily mean Stop.
    (6) Aggressive drivers are just as bad as timid drivers.
    (7) When driving a car JUST DRIVE...DO NOTHING ELSE!!!

Thank you
    How about the .... person .... who can't wait to pass you then immediately after doing so slams on their brakes to make a turn?

Maybe Google is onto something with their driverless cars. I will not be surprised if highways with 'driverless' cars have more capacity than the same highway today. Any manual override would need to be limited to braking and maybe steering I think.

Curt, that sounds like drivers in North and South Carolina. Pull out in front of you go slow for about a hundred yards then turn left with a line of traffic coming.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

You guys helped me find something to appreciate about today, thanks. I have to drive 350 miles or so, and I'll probably have to share the road with at least 50 other drivers. There are some perks to living here.

PS, couldn't agree with Chris more about timid driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    You ever want to see your life flash before your eyes, be a passenger in a cab in Rome..
    Nah - that's a blast!! All Italian cab drivers are channelling their inner Schumaker.............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I was coming home from my daughter's on the freeway just yesterday and there was a guy that passed be and was passing all kinds of cars. From one lane across 2 and then did it again I guess it would be called weaving in and out of traffic.
    This happened about 30 miles from where I turn off to go home and when I got to my turn off he was one car ahead of me. So all of that driving like a nut and taking the chance of getting in a wreck or causing one for 20 feet?

One of the other things that gets me now is turn signals, people turn them on just about the time they turn, not 100 feet before but just as they are turning.

Got a call from the daughter yesterday who had an encounter exactly like the original poster. Not only did this driver nearly cut off her front bumper, he had the presence of mind to give her the middle finger salute when she blew her horn at the nutbrain. A real prize winner there.
    While I don't endorse violence, I can fully understand why some road rage incidents occur.
    Just learn to ignore the mindless idiots and watch out for the other drivers.