Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are car drivers getting worse or is it....

Are car drivers getting worse or is it....

just me? Tonight I was cut off by a driver who never even looked to see if it was clear to change lanes. I hit the brakes just in time to slow so as not rear end the car. And another driver thought they would cut in front just by getting aggressive and moving over. They did not get in finally. But this has left me wondering where are peoples heads at times?
    Last edited by Chuck Wintle; 12-17-2014 at 3:52 PM.

I could answer that final question, but propriety demands I pass on this one.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Hey Chuck, it could be worse. You could be driving in either Toronto or Boston where driving is a full contact sport.

Seriously though between talking on cell phones and texting drivers have gotten progressively worse. Add in the aggressive ones who are sure they own the road and commutes are a pain in the butt. My wife drive the I-95 loop around Boston twice a day back and forth from work and at 6AM if she isn't doing at least 75 mph in the right lane other drivers including 18 wheelers are all over her. You are probably safer in Kandahar.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

With the backup cameras, lane change sensors who needs to pay attention any more. Besides I'm WAY to busy texting, chatting, updating my Facebook, eating a cheeseburger, checking email and respond .... (Hay, some jerk is honking and giving me the finger, how rude) responding to this post.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 12-17-2014 at 3:57 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Let's face it. They are thinking; "It's all about me".
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    With the backup cameras, lane change sensors who needs to pay attention any more. Besides I'm WAY to busy texting, chatting, updating my Facebook, eating a cheeseburger, checking email and respond .... (Hay, some jerk is honking and giving me the finger, how rude) responding to this post.
    You forgot to mention that people apply make-up or change underclothes while they are driving ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilson View Post
    Let's face it. They are thinking; "It's all about me".
    Not to be an egocentric narcissist but . . . , they're all thinking about me

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Hey Chuck, it could be worse. You could be driving in either Toronto or Boston where driving is a full contact sport.

Ah, Boston . . . where everyone drives with one hand. The better to free up the other for out-the-window-communicating.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There is an entrance ramp locally where this Fall the wait to get onto the highway was as long as 30 minutes. Drivers constantly drive in the right lane until the very last minute and then barge their way in. Luckily, a new entrance ramp just opened a month ago that most of the drivers don't know about yet so I go that way and avoid the wait.

"It's all about me" is right. A lot of the moves the drivers make to get into the turn lane from the right lane are downright dangerous. I have seen drivers make a left turn from the right lane while other drivers are turning left from the turn lane and the ramp is only one lane wide!

I know how to do the PIT maneuver, so I'm waiting for some Jackal to try cutting me off. Ya gotta keep your foot on the gas.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Something that kills me for the past few years is virtually no one uses turn signals anymore. I bet most of the drivers out there have never even heard of getting a ticket for not signaling. I wish the cops would start a ticketing campaign for that.

With regards to general driving, this time of year seems to bring the worst out in drivers and probably puts me at a higher "testy" level so I am more easily irritated. I am (as usual) looking eagerly to January. This time of year really tries my patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    just me? Tonight I was cut off by a driver who never even looked to see if it was clear to change lanes. I hit the brakes just in time to slow so as not rear end the car. And another driver thought they would cut in front just by getting aggressive and moving over. They did not get in finally. But this has left me wondering where are peoples heads at times?
    Did you look to see if the jerk had New Jersey plates?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    Did you look to see if the jerk had New Jersey plates?
    Hey now. I have found aggressive and stupid drivers to be universal. They seek out "opportunity" wherever it can be found.

Unfortunately, a lot of those jerks seem to find their way down here this time of year. (Not to say that we don't have our own share year round. Left lane on I-75, blinker on, driving 50mph.)

But it's better than Boston. I still have nightmares thinking about all those folks trying to merge to get into that tunnel to Logan Airport.
    Regards,
    Dick

Try driving in the Middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by DOUG ANGEL View Post
    Try driving in the Middle East.
    Or in Italy.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.