Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are car drivers getting worse or is it....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    One of the other things that gets me now is turn signals, people turn them on just about the time they turn, not 100 feet before but just as they are turning.
    Some drivers won't turn on their turn signals until the last second when changing lanes because other drivers are known to intentionally block lane changes.

I remember going through Chicago some years ago and thinking the car dealers must remove turn signals at the dealer because nobody there signals turns.

Blog Entries
    I was 30' up a ladder working on my house. This requires me to put my ladder right on the edge of the street. I put up cones so that people making the blind curve could see the cone and be prepared to miss the ladder. (Which they should normally miss anyway, but hey- people can do the most amazing things.) Every single person who made the turn ran over the cone. Three people stopped and told me I should put up a cone, after running over the cone I had put up. One guy stopped and decided to back into a parking space on a side street. As I yelled "Noooooo!" he missed my ladder by two inches with his front bumper. I was up the ladder at the time, hanging on to a shutter in case he hit the ladder.

I live in Missouri where a recent insurance report identified the Missouri drivers as the 10th worst in the US. I don't understand why they weren't higher in that report.

Here it is common not to use turn signals. (did you know that they don't put turn signals on BMW's?)

You can be driving at 40 mph down Manchester Rd. ( a crazy busy thorofare) and all of a sudden some idiot woman will stop to let somebody make a left turn in front of her, completely oblivious to the line of traffic behind her.

Yes, Rome is worse and so is Paris but Cairo is the worst I've seen because you also contend with camels and donkeys.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Cairo is also the only place I have been where the police and soldiers have steel panels set up on many corners, and stand behind them with AK 47's. Makes tourists feel safe.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Atlanta gets 2 groups of best-in-class:

1. Apparently aginst the rules to use turn signals.
    2. The stereotype about FLA drivers is actual fact - we get a lot of them here. Move into the left lane, and slow to the max speed of the car on your right. Never speed up. Never change lanes.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

car horn?
    Max. what is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Atlanta gets 2 groups of best-in-class:

1. Apparently against the rules to use turn signals.
    2. The stereotype about FLA drivers is actual fact - we get a lot of them here. Move into the left lane, and slow to the max speed of the car on your right. Never speed up. Never change lanes.
    Re No. 2: What! You mean it is not my god given right to drive in the left lane at 5mph below the posted speed limit? I'll have you know that no one should be going faster than me.

In reality, I think that a lot of those drivers that you are seeing in Atlanta (probably on I-75) are actually Snow Birds who have figured out that FL tags are cheaper than the ones from New York, Ohio, Michigan, or Ontario.
    Regards,
    Dick

There is a general sense of impatience "out there" these days that seems more escalated than it used to be. Perhaps it's because of increased traffic levels, but I certainly have noticed that I need to pay a lot more attention to folks around me when traveling than I used to. Because of my frequent travel to the DC area for business, I spend a lot of time on the Interstate...and lately, my fenders have had a lot of close calls from people speeding and changing lanes without regard to other traffic. It's become increasingly difficult to maintain what is truly a safe distance from a vehicle in front, too...the moment you slip back, someone quickly slides in the gap. I can honestly say that I'm truly happy my Grand Cherokee Summit has the Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision avoidance system...it can hit the brakes before my own foot can get there and that's been a good thing. Too many times lately.

Jim - SMC Member
    -----

Folks, this can be a good discussion, but that depends upon you. Please keep it civil, on-topic and within the rules of this forum. It pains me to see how many posts have had to be deleted here by a fellow moderator.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-20-2014 at 9:26 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Because of my frequent travel to the DC area for business
    You have my sympathy. We lived in DC for seven years. For true terror, nothing beats the beltway in a snow storm, or, looking in your rear view mirror and seeing a car approaching with diplomatic tags and a female driver.
    Regards,
    Dick