Thread: Opening letters...

Opening letters...

When you get a letter do you a: open without looking to see who it is addressed to or B: Double check the address? Tonight there was a letter from the phone company and since its only me recreiving the bills I just assumed it was for me and tore it open..Upon closer inspection it was placed in my mailbox by mistake...it was for the neighbor.

I always look first,,, unfortunately getting wrong mail is all too common here!

I recieved some other people checks and assorted other mail so I try to scan the name and address [tying the word "address " is easy since the keys are group together ] some of the mail will get sent back to the post off-ice

I always look because I don't want to open my wife's mail.
    If I lived alone I suppose I might open first.

We do get something for neighbor about once a month.

My shop and residence is in a rural area and its not uncommon for the carrier to goof up and put someone else's mail in my box. Even with that I rarely look. I just grab the stack out of the box and start opening. The worst was opening a neighbors mail that was from collections agency threatening action. I simply taped it back shut and put it back in the box with the flag up. I dont worry about neighbors opening my mis delivered mail.. I have no secrets...

I've done the same thing a couple of times and have had my neighbor open my mail by mistake as well. It's not a big deal IMO.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Just put it in the neighbors mailbox, and call it a day.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Just put it in the neighbors mailbox, and call it a day.
    Unfortunately I dont have that option. The local PO is doing me a favor and delivering all my mail to my shop. My residence is 10 miles away and the neighbors mail I usually get is from that address. Plus I figure when I put it in the box with the flag up it lets the carrier know they goofed up and they will likely watch out a bit more. Good carriers around here. One of the perks of the woods, very nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    When you get a letter do you a: open without looking to see who it is addressed to or B: Double check the address? Tonight there was a letter from the phone company and since its only me recreiving the bills I just assumed it was for me and tore it open..Upon closer inspection it was placed in my mailbox by mistake...it was for the neighbor.
    Not to worry, last year my neighbour paid my gas bill, it's Christmas, how much do you like your neighbour?........Rod.

I look to see who the sender is . . . half my mail goes to the recycle bin unopened.

Blog Entries
    I used to use different initials or names to see who was selling my name when requesting a catalog or something.

I also look because even though we have lived here over 6 years, mail still comes for the previous occupants.

My wife's mail is for her to open.

Often mail to me is opened on the walk from the mail box to the house. It is about an eighth of a mile.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    I look to see who the sender is . . . half my mail goes to the recycle bin unopened.
    Agreed!

I also check who it is addressed to, since I make a stack of mail for my wife and a stack of mail for me.

Blog Entries
    We have a Schierer, Schermer and Scheuer all living on the same rural delivery route within a 1/2 mile of each other so we generally look before opening anything delivered by the post office. It is also not unusual for the carrier to get out of sequence and we get the mail for the neighbor just north or south of us.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It happens often with me. I do look first because as Jim and Matt said I don't want to open my wife's mail. I always sort it into two stacks on the way back to the house.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I've done that. If it's my neighbor, I put it in their mailbox. If it's too far, I seal the envelope with a piece of tape, and write on it, "Opened by mistake, delivered to wrong address" and drop it back into the mail. Never had a problem with that.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.