Thread: How to finish black yet show wood color (red)

How to finish black yet show wood color (red)

Years ago I seen some furniture in a store. I believe it was Gibert (out of business - now) and from a distance he furniture was a glossy black; however, on close inspection you could see the red mahogony showing through. I've always wanted to do this. I have a pile of black cherry waiting to be made into a bedroom suite and I would love to finish it like that. Any ideas on how this is done?

If I had to guess, I'd say put a little black dye in a batch of shellac. Spray it on and adjust the amount of dye needed to give you the same effect. What you're trying to do is produce a transparent black stain.

Like I said, I'm just guessing here. I am quite far from being an expert in this field, but I think with a couple of light coats you just might get the effect you're looking for.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Thanks, I will try it next year.

Without seeing it, it's hard to say, but I've gotten this effect by layering colors.

I would first dye the piece with the undertone (red mahogany). You can either dye it directly, or add the red to shellac or lacquer and tone it that way.

Next, I would add black dye to shellac or lacquer and layer on the second color.

This will take a little experimentation with respect to the concentration of dye, and the cut of the sealer, to get the right level of transparency.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Without seeing it, it's hard to say, but I've gotten this effect by layering colors.

I would first dye the piece with the undertone (red mahogany). You can either dye it directly, or add the red to shellac or lacquer and tone it that way.

Next, I would add black dye to shellac or lacquer and layer on the second color.

This will take a little experimentation with respect to the concentration of dye, and the cut of the sealer, to get the right level of transparency.

Didn't I just say that? Copycat... LOL

Seriously, Good call on the red dye basecoat. I was just thinking of the natural color but you're right, some dye would pop the color more.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Do you a means to spray? It seems like the trick would be diluted black stain or dye and multiple coats until you get the balance of black and red you want. It goes without saying to experiment with scrap first.