Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a sanding apparatus......

Looking for a sanding apparatus......

I am in the middle of a hollow vase type form, with some punky areas, and I need something better to help me sand the inside. I have a vague memory that somewhere I saw some apparatus that is basically some type of a ball on a stick that has hook and loop strips that fit over the ball

Does anyone know of such an animal? I hope I am describing the thing in a way that makes sense, but perhaps some of you are a bit more aware of what is out there.........I have not seen it in my visits to CSUSA, or other places.........maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Rockler.com and woodcraft. Also klingspor's woodworking shop
    Last edited by Anthony Cayll; 12-18-2014 at 8:41 AM.

Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Okay, here is what I came up with.........I think it will do what I need very well and comes in many grits as well. Ordered some of these from Peachtree Woodworking.

That looks really neat and should get the job done..
    What diameter are these?
    I am guessing that you will be using a drill extension to reach into your HF. Slip a short piece of ABS or PVC pipe on the extension to help control the sanding mop with your left hand.
    There is also the old standby that I use, wrap a bit of terry towel around a dowel and fasten it with masking tape. Then tape the grit of sandpaper you want around the terry towel. You can adjust the towel and dowel to fit into the hole of the HF.
    Good luck with the new sanding mops.
    Peter F.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Fabricius View Post
    That looks really neat and should get the job done..
    What diameter are these?
    I am guessing that you will be using a drill extension to reach into your HF. Slip a short piece of ABS or PVC pipe on the extension to help control the sanding mop with your left hand.
    There is also the old standby that I use, wrap a bit of terry towel around a dowel and fasten it with masking tape. Then tape the grit of sandpaper you want around the terry towel. You can adjust the towel and dowel to fit into the hole of the HF.
    Good luck with the new sanding mops.
    Peter F.
    Thanks for the tip about the pvc pipe on the drill extension, Peter! The ones I ordered are 2" but they also come in 3" sizes as well. I am getting 60 grit, 180 grit and 320 grit. The info on these states that they conform to tight spots and I figure the 60 grit will help me get the ridges out after hollowing better than I can do otherwise. I used my Hunter carbide tools to smooth, but with the punky areas and different densities and weights in the wood I find it hard to get a smooth, in balance cut. This cherry burl is one of the most difficult pieces of wood I think I have encountered in quite a while!

Hey Roger, When I first glanced at the title line in your post I thought it said "Looking for Sanding Apprentice". I was going to tell you if you find a good one send them to me when you don't need them. Just imagine finishing a bowl or hollow form and tossing it to someone who lives to make wooden things silky.
    faust

[QUOTE=Faust M. Ruggiero;2348459]Hey Roger, When I first glanced at the title line in your post I thought it said "Looking for Sanding Apprentice". I was going to tell you if you find a good one send them to me when you don't need them. Just imagine finishing a bowl or hollow form and tossing it to someone who lives to make wooden things silky.
    faust[/QUOTE

We have a lady turner in our club who does exactly that.......she has someone she hired to do sanding for her. She only turns bowls, and seems to sell every one she makes! I think she is paying per item sanded to her standards, and I think is teaching the other lady how to turn! She is the wife of a cardiologist, so I guess she can afford it!

Your find is very interesting, Roger.

Here is another option, pricey but effective

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...79&cat=1,42500
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Roger, I modified one that I bought with more strips of velcro and put it in a handle for deep sanding. I just wrap different grits of abranet on it...it worked good on the vase in the picture.
    sander0349.jpg

I've thought about getting the ones you've order. Let us know how you like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post

I looked at those Grant, on the WC site...........decided the ones I got would likely be a better choice as some of the reviews I read spoke about the inflatable mandrel ball getting off center and also the abrasive coming off at times.......some good reviews, some less than stellar. I will try the ones I ordered, and report on how I like them.

The info on these said that they are washable, and also can be blown out with an air hose to keep them unclogged and a the abrasive keeps a fresh cutting edge, so we will see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post

Back when I was doing hand carving I bought this system from King Arthur tools.
    Hooked it up to a 1/2 inch drill with a 3 foot flexible shaft.
    Once you get used to it's quirks it works very well.
    Actually outstanding.
    Keep your sanding sleeves clean with the included cleaner and they last a long time.
    I have no complaints.

Maybe this is what you are thinking of:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/...h-Sanding-Ball

14. Quote Originally Posted by Marc Tuunanen View Post
    Maybe this is what you are thinking of:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/...h-Sanding-Ball

Thanks for that link, Marc..........that looks like what I had seen before..........right now it says that CSUSA is out of stock till January.

Glad I could help.

Cheers