Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for new tablesàw extension surface

Need advice for new tablesàw extension surface

I have a Jet cabinet saw and want to make a storage cabinet for the extension. I am planning on the top of the cabinet to be the extension table surface. Do you think MDF is OK? Or, should I make a laminated surface. It seems like laminate is not available in small pieces so I was wondering if just the MDF would hold up OK.

What do you think?
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

I think that you would be happier in the long run to use the melamine or laminated MDF for the surface. I have used MDF with multiple coats of thin shellac for drill press table, router table, and other work areas, but the laminate is a much harder and easier surface to maintain. My saw extension (and most of table saw) ends up being a storage surface between usage for my wood turning pieces or as an assembly surface. Remember it is a long time investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    I think that you would be happier in the long run to use the melamine or laminated MDF for the surface. I have used MDF with multiple coats of thin shellac for drill press table, router table, and other work areas, but the laminate is a much harder and easier surface to maintain. My saw extension (and most of table saw) ends up being a storage surface between usage for my wood turning pieces or as an assembly surface. Remember it is a long time investment.
    Plus 1!

The MDF will hold up, but will add more friction. The melamine is available at most Borg stores and very inexpensive.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I made my folding outfeed table out of 3/4" melamine sheet. It has held up better than I expected it to. It is better looking than MDF and very slick with a coat of wax on it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I put Formica on mine I don't know how many years ago, and it still looks fine. Same on the outfeed table.

My cut off table, which also doubles as an assembly table, has a 1/4" tempered Masonite top. It is getting a bit 'raggedy-arsed' and needs another replacement. Not difficult to unscrew the old one, rough cut the new top to size, screw in place, then trim to fit with a router pattern bit. Apply a good coat of past wax to reduce friction and prevent spills, glues, etc., from adhering to the surface.

I used phenolic coated 3/4" plywood. Tough, low-friction, looks nice, easy to work with. No lamination needed. (Save that for the top of your torsion box assembly table, which will be MDF, and which will be laminated.) :-)

Not easy to find phenolic plywood, though. I had to call around some building supply warehouses until I found some.

-JS3

Guess I have been using the wrong search term. Melamine sounds like a winner for my needs.

Thanks

Enjoy Life...

Blog Entries
    You mentioned that you cannot find laminate in a small quantity to purchase. I have learned that many places that sell laminate (not the big box stores) or even cabinet shops have an abundance of scrap pieces of the stuff that they will most likely gladly give to you or at the very least sell you for next to nothing. You just can't be too picky about color or doing a little dumpster diving. I have a router table with an baby poop green top and an outfeed table that is an almond color, but they work great.
    Laminate is better than melamine due to it being thicker and much more durable, of course it will add a step to the build process, but I think it is worth it.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 12-18-2014 at 1:08 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I sort of went all out and made my folding outfeed and an insert to the right of the saw out of 3/4" oak plywood.
    I gave them a few coats of orange shellac and keep them waxed.
    I have to say - they do add a lot in the appearance department.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I sort of went all out and made my folding outfeed and an insert to the right of the saw out of 3/4" oak plywood.
    I gave them a few coats of orange shellac and keep them waxed.
    I have to say - they do add a lot in the appearance department.

Hmmm

Oak plywood would go nice with that drill press upgrade I just finished.

Enjoy Life...

I had the better part of a half sheet (~4'x4') of red oak plywood left over from something I made. It was the $40.00 a 4'x8' sheet stuff that Menards sells.
    It wasn't enough for much of anything and it was too much to call scrap.
    It turned out real pretty!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Melamine works pretty good, but if your out-feed sees a lot of use, especially as an assembly table, you'll wear it out. I've gone through a couple melamine out-feeds so when I recently moved my shop and had to make a new one I finally went the extra mile and picked up some laminate. Really not much extra effort or expense and makes for a much, MUCH, tougher surface.

Also as the others said local cab shops may have smaller off cuts they'll sell you for cheap. Unfortunately for me as much laminate scrap as I end up with it's mostly darker colors, so I ended up having to go out and buy a sheet anyway

good luck,
    JeffD

Blog Entries
    My out feed table is regular A/C 3/4" plywood with 2-3 coat of polyurethane on it. It has held up quite well for over 15 years now.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Formica is almost indestructible after it is glued on. Lowes will sell their sheets of formica that have been mulled over and have broken edges at a good discount.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.