Thread: First real project on SU

First real project on SU

Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 6.57.58 PM.jpg

this is an island that's going in my next cabinet job. Very rough but I'm slowly figuring it out.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Nice work. The more you get use to navigating around in SU and making it work for you the more you'll love it. It gets easier but its like anything, you have to be in it fairly regular to be proficient.

Good work. Mark is right. It's like things you do in the shop. You have to practice and keep your hand in to get and remain proficient. Part of it is muscle memory.

Learning good habits is important, too.

Yeah it's been a lot of fun and I'm still figuring it out so it takes a while. Also deciding to group/component something is something new. But it's all fun!
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Try organizing this way. A component is anything at all that is repeated in your model, even if the repeat is a mirrored version. And furthermore, a component can be a collection of components. A simple cabinet door is thus two stiles and two rails and one panel and a pair of hinges and one knob, and is collected together as one component, with all the parts being components also.

A group is anything occuring once in your model.

My models of furniture and built ins typically have a lot of components and few groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    Try organizing this way. A component is anything at all that is repeated in your model, even if the repeat is a mirrored version. And furthermore, a component can be a collection of components. A simple cabinet door is thus two stiles and two rails and one panel and a pair of hinges and one knob, and is collected together as one component, with all the parts being components also.

A group is anything occuring once in your model.

My models of furniture and built ins typically have a lot of components and few groups.
    I look at components and groups a little differently. Components are things I save to a library. Things I use repeatedly and often even if they will be modified slightly. Groups I use extensively to isolate geometry but for parts that I have no need to save in a library.

To me, they are both just easy ways to keep geometry separate.