Thread: By suggestion.... research done-continuing.....Grizzly g0715p question.

By suggestion.... research done-continuing.....Grizzly g0715p question.

OK,

So during my exploration of a good, 110/220 capable, 10" , cast iron tabled, under say, $1000-ish, a fellow creeker suggested I look into the Grizzly g0715p. Actually, I think several of you had. I had resisted, because I thought I remembered some chatter suggesting that the "guts" of the machine were identical to the ill fated Ridgid hybrid with the blade alignment issues. R4512 maybe? (i forget the model number just now. It is still in play through internet sales, and is sibling to both a Craftsman, as well as one other saw at least....all the models are beginning to run together for me right now)

Anyway, I have been doing a great deal of reading, and I have run across a couple of posts both here on the Creek, as well as a couple of other sites, that seem to indicate that Grizzly has addressed the issue and it is no longer a problem. Date stamping on the various complaint posts, date clear back to when the machine(s) were first rolled out. Sometime back in 2010 IIRC. Since around late 2011 into 2012, the complaints seem to stop completely, though they persist for the Ridgid.

Also, I ran across a couple of posts that claimed that a representitive of Grizzly, had vehemently denied any genetic relationship between the Ridgid and the g0715p, and that the only relationship that the two saws shared were design simmilarities of the trunnion mounted to table design feature, and that the two saws were indeed manufactured in different plants. No actual family relation at all.

Can anyone help shead light further on these various rumblings? perhaps someone as anally retentive as I am? Can any of you guys who own this machine, give me a feel for your experience in owning one? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Can anyone give me some clarity regarding the g0715p"s history, liniage, tweaks that were done to eliminate the early complaints?

Can anyone give me a feel for the ease with which they were able to align, tune, and care/feed their Grizzly g0715p?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated. As always, looking forward to hearing back from you all.

John
    Last edited by John McBride; 12-17-2014 at 11:16 PM.

I got one new from Grizzly about 6 months ago. Can't say anything at all about how easy it is to align, tune, or care/feed. It was dead on out of the box, checked with a digital level accurate to 1/10 degree. So, I did nothing to it other than assemble it. Miters, rips, crosscuts all perfect. Subsequently, I bought a Grizzly bandsaw and jointer, and they were dead on also. The fence that came with the TS is excellent; the miter gauge fairly crude. However, for my precision work I use a crosscut sled that I made, so my use of the miter gauge is only for rough stuff.

This is an outstanding TS at a terrific price.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Rochkind View Post
    I got one new from Grizzly about 6 months ago. Can't say anything at all about how easy it is to align, tune, or care/feed. It was dead on out of the box, checked with a digital level accurate to 1/10 degree. So, I did nothing to it other than assemble it. Miters, rips, crosscuts all perfect. Subsequently, I bought a Grizzly bandsaw and jointer, and they were dead on also. The fence that came with the TS is excellent; the miter gauge fairly crude. However, for my precision work I use a crosscut sled that I made, so my use of the miter gauge is only for rough stuff.

This is an outstanding TS at a terrific price.
    Marc,
    Thanks for getting the ball rolling. This is all good news. I am glad I took Petes advice and actually took a second look at this machine. i am continuing to do my due dilligence, but all the indicators thus far point to good juju surrounding this table saw.

John if you haven't yet go to Lumberjocks and check out the reviews on this saw. There are many reviews so you can judge for yourself. Most of them were positive.

Hope this helps, Bob

Thanks Bob, will do.

I had a g0715p for a year or so. It was a very accurate solid saw, none of the alignment issues reported the first couple of years after release of the model. I have a sawstop pcs 3 hp now (for the safety feature and because I finally got 220 in shop) but actual performance is really not any different than the grizzly other than slightly smoother cuts on thicker stock due to the increased power.

Quote Originally Posted by David Legg View Post
    I had a g0715p for a year or so. It was a very accurate solid saw, none of the alignment issues reported the first couple of years after release of the model. I have a sawstop pcs 3 hp now (for the safety feature and because I finally got 220 in shop) but actual performance is really not any different than the grizzly other than slightly smoother cuts on thicker stock due to the increased power.
    Thanks Dave,
    Exactly the kind of info I am looking for. Much appreciated.

OK, So got a handle on the Grizzly. I am now also curious about the Ridgid R4512. Please look for a new post on the R4512 especially if you are a current owner. Recent purchases of the Ridgid too.