Thread: Oval Rock Elm dish 13.5" X 2.25"

Oval Rock Elm dish 13.5" X 2.25"

Got this Rock Elm wood out of Kanata, smaller town, now part of Ottawa.

I seen this roadside Rock Elm in my sons street some years ago, like 10, looked like it had a lot of burl growths on it and looked sick with wilting leaves, told my son to make sure he got hold of some of that wood when they would cut it down, took about 2 years I think and my son called me about the tree, had been cut down and what part did I want and how to saw it up, guess I do like all , but part of it was good also, and just cut it in pieces as big as you can move, he got help from a neighbor ( he got a nice bowl for his help) this was in the fall, and I didn’t get to my son's place until just before Christmas, had to dig to find/see the logs, they had gotten a pile of snow and it was cold.

I was quite the log, and to big to load into my SUV, as it turned out it was home to several colonies of carpenter ants, and as I cut the log up there in the winter, it was frozen solid and so where the ants, hands full fell out as I cut the log into pieces I could handle and get into my truck, wood and the ants, all dead I thought, ..................... boy was I ever WRONG , I should have know better, but never gave it a thought

rock Elm logs.jpg

The tree must have been in a bad storm many years before and though full of splits and some limbs broken of it survived and grew for several decades after that, well as you can see these ants had been busy in there for a long time.
    Ant riddled log.jpg
    Anyway got THEM home, yes wood and ants , I placed the pieces in the shop with big thick plastic bags over them, then some days later I had just a look to see the wood, and there are these Ants staring at me and scrambling to get back into the log,
    OH dammed stupid me , well I did get rid of all the ants eventually, but you should have seen me dancing every time when I sawed a piece up and had to kill/trample every ant that came scurrying out

The bumps that I hoped were burl growth, turned out to be overgrown limbs that had broken off

The wood, whatever wasn’t split and bored with ant tunnels is a real nice, dense and good looking wood, it shrinks more than any other wood that I have worked with, and here as you can see, the piece has become oval and I have left it that way, turning the bowl within the oval outside shape, next time I will round some of those square edges, but this one will stay this way

All comments welcome as always

Rock Elm.jpg
    Rock Elm inside.jpg Rock Elm profile.jpg Rock Elm bottom.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 12-18-2014 at 12:18 AM.
    Have fun and take care

Another great looking piece Leo...enjoy your descriptions on how you get the wood.

Here are a couple more pictures of a closed form bowl from this Rock Elm wood, this one was turned 5 years ago, it is so oval I was accused of using a oval turning lathe and not telling the wood turners guild I belonged to about it

Rock Elm oval bowl.jpg Oval rock Elm side view.jpg Rock Elm oval bottom.jpg
    Have fun and take care

The bowls are very nice Leo but the story behind them is priceless.

very nice Leo, I like the ovals as a shape, you only mess with ants once........way to much trouble and risk to your woodpile much less you studio/home

I was given some rock elm cut offs from a mill a few years back. Great looking wood, but, wow is it ever aptly named. The hardest elm I have ever turned, and pretty close to the hardest wood I have ever turned.

Kudos for fighting the carpenters and decay to come up with the great looking bowls.
    Last edited by Dale Miner; 12-20-2014 at 8:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul vechart View Post
    Another great looking piece Leo...enjoy your descriptions on how you get the wood.
    Thanks for Commenting Paul , the different pieces of wood you get give the turned pieces a history and set them apart from the next one, always nice to recall the special ones
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    The bowls are very nice Leo but the story behind them is priceless.
    Thank you David , It is all the doing and learning that for me makes turning wood so enjoyable, never a dull moment so to speak
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    very nice Leo, I like the ovals as a shape, you only mess with ants once........way to much trouble and risk to your woodpile much less you studio/home
    Thanks Charlie , yup got a whole bunch wiser with regard to Ants and how they survive and live
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Miner View Post
    I was given some rock elm cut offs from a mill a few years back. Great looking wood, but, wow is it ever aptly named. The hardest elm I have ever turned, and pretty close to the hardest wood I have ever turned.

Kudos for fighting the carpenters and decay to come up with the great looking bowls.
    Thank you very much Dale, yup hard wood but really nice after the work is done, I have a few other pieces that were rough turned then, they are going to be a challenge now I do expect, maybe I’ll choose some easier ones first, I do have choices 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care