Thread: Need help with drill press table

Need help with drill press table

I would like to get advice on how to raise and lower a drill press table easily. I have a Sears 2 3/4 inch column press.

Does your DP have the rack and pinion system, or is it just a smooth column?
    I have a 1952 era Craftsman/King Seely DP with the smooth column. I keep the column clean and well lubed which allows the table to be "wiggled" right to left as I raise or lower it.
    Some have added a trailer tongue jack or a system with a cable and counter weight thru the column.
    Rack and pinion systems are just like any other mechanism that requires clean and well lubed columns to operate easily.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    I'm going to assume no crank. A 2-3/4" column also makes me think this is a benchtop so this may not apply.

trailer jack.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm talking about a floor mount; I'm looking for a rack and crank solution. Thanks.

If your drill press did not have some sort of rack and crank as an option, I doubt you will be able to add one. The casting that clamps the table to the post needs an opening for the rack to pass through.

That's an interesting point.

I always do that and have a counter weight which doesn't seem to help very much. Am attempting to reduce the diameter of the column using an orbital sander and a very fine grit disc.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I'm going to assume no crank. A 2-3/4" column also makes me think this is a benchtop so this may not apply.

trailer jack.jpg
    Well, aren't you clever. Did you get that from a truck stop? I like how dirt simple it is.