Thread: Tool Chest #1 needed an update

Tool Chest #1 needed an update

Had a tray that a few chisels just rolled around in.....not too good on them, right/

Took that tray out, cut some slots and drill some holes. Pine sides were just snapping off when the slots were cut......##@##$!

Sooo, plane B in effect. Bottom of the tray is Oak, 1/2" thick. Drilled a few holes, cut some slots to let each chisel through
    rack work.jpg
    And, check for the fit as i went. Once done, I emptied the rack out, turned it over til the slots were the new/old bottom. Slid this "new" tray to the back wall of the Tool Chest #1
    rack installed.jpg

You can see where the soft Pine broke out. I may add a couple screws to keep this tray in place. Now, since the iron bottomed planes have their own place to call home, the woodies decided to call the bottom of this chest home
    planes and saws.jpg
    Jointer, coffin smoother, Jack, and a HUGE try plane. There are 4 panel saws and a back saw in the front til. I also still have a tote to carry tools in
    IMAG0064.jpg
    But, there is STILL about 4" of open ground in the front....may have to do something about that....

Blog Entries
    My main concern would be if while reaching for something in the bottom of the chest you hand brushes against the chisel blades it could leave a nasty slice.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Working on getting a thin plywood "cover" back there, as I have a couple more planes to go in. May make a small box to hang under the chisel tray....

Still a very lustworthy build....