Thread: Anyone know where I can get one of these.....

Anyone know where I can get one of these.....

A magnetic, retractable key ring? I am looking for one of those round ones with a chain or cable that comes out & retracts. It has a magnet on the back to attach to your tool. I want it for the key for my drill press. Just can't find one anywhere.

Rockler used to sell them. I have had one on my floor model press for years and it worked flawlessly. I now have a second table model drill press and that is why I need another.

I just put a magnet on my drill press and the wrench sticks to it. I bought one of those magnetic tool strips for the table saw, put it below the table on the front of the saw, and the blade wrenches stick to it as well. On my scroll saw I just put the small wrenches on the side of the motor. The permanent magnet in the motor field holds them well. No need for a retractable cable on any of these tools.

Charley

Joe,

Almost any store that makes keys will have the retractable key rings. I found them at my local ACE Hardware.

If you know anyone in medicine, like a doctor or a nurse at a bigger hospital, they probably have dozens of them around since they are used for ID badges to swipe on card readers. They might not be exactly what you have, but I'm sure you can make it work.

Blog Entries
    You could get one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Retractable-He...table+keychain

and replace the belt clip with a rare-earth magnet.

Or get the one from Starrett:
    http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-SK1-K...productDetails

(I'd bet the cable would be straight within .000001)
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We have rare earth magnets. Let me know if you want us to send you one, free.

Contact Emily at 800 346-8274 or email sales@carbideprocessors.com

Our sawmill customers like to use them to stick a mirror on their bandsaw grinders so they can see the backside of the bandsaw easily. We also have 2" diameter mirrors. They are glass, inset in a steel frame so they stick to a magnet.

Tom

P.S. Emily is the high energy one who laughs a lot.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Thanks, I'll hit Ace in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    I just put a magnet on my drill press and the wrench sticks to it.

Charley

Bingo.

And one on the DP for the allen key for adjusting guides.

And 2 different ones for allen keys for the mortiser.

And - one for 10' tape measures on DP. BS, Jointer, Mortiser. [virtually never need longer than 10'. If I do, go fetch]. I super-glued the mags to the back of the tapes [after I removed the annoying belt clips.]
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    You could get one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Retractable-He...table+keychain

and replace the belt clip with a rare-earth magnet.
    Looking at that, if the belt clip is tight enough--stick the magnet on the other side and use the belt clip to hold notes (not that i forget what it was i went to the drill press to do!!)
    earl

For $5, I ordered one. It will work out just fine. Thanks!!

It is really annoying that Rockler doesn't have them anymore. I guess they were just too useful! I have several and like not having to remember to return a chuck key to a magnet. Once I use the chuck key it is very easy to put it down somewhere and lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    .............. Once I use the chuck key it is very easy to put it down somewhere and lose it.
    Can I get an "Amen"????? That is why I want the cord. The magnet on the tool is a great idea IF you remember to put it back.