Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loaner handtool conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Proper View Post
    a long time ago I asked a coworker if I could borrow his chainsaw. His replay was "My wife, yes. My dog, maybe. My chainsaw, never"
    The quickest way to ruin a chainsaw is to let a friend borrow it. Especially someone that doesn't have experience with them. They either get straight gassed, run out of chain lube, or find a few rocks in the dirt.
    I won't loan out any tool I can't afford to replace. As a general rule, I'll tell someone to bring the part over.

The way I see it, if I like someone enough to lend them one of my hand tools, then I might as well give them what they need and help push them down the slope. So I have a small stash of giveaway tools and they are handed off with the intention of never getting them back. But, if you go anywhere near my "user tools" in my tool chests, we will have words. Just ask my wife... she almost became my ex wife after I caught her using a Wenzloff half-back to cut back a lilac bush...
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    So I have a small stash of giveaway tools and they are handed off with the intention of never getting them back.
    Most of my beaters or bangers are ones that wouldn't bother me much if they didn't come back.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There are no tools I own that I wouldn't lend out to the right people. Having said that, the list of right people is very short. It is composed of maybe 4 people and does not include either my wife or son. Those on the list have proven themselves to know how to both use and take care of tools and return them in as good or better condition than when they left me. On the rare occasion when something is loaned out it goes on a sticky note posted in the shop so I don't forget who has it. The note goes into the trash when it is returned.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Learning how to handle and care for tools has been a long lesson for me. I've caused my own blades damage, and had to deal with rust and bent adjustment wheels because I banged or dropped a plane. For this reason, I can't see myself lending planes or chisels or rasps out. I hate to be a snob, but I just don't think it's intuitive that these metal/iron things need to be handled with kid gloves. I'd only trust someone who keeps their blades and tools in better shape than I do. I've bought a number of planes and blades from people on this forum that I'd lend tools to in a heartbeat...

I don't loan tools. (A chainsaw would be the absolute last thing I would loan.) I don't keep a bunch of crappy tools around to loan out either. But I've never had anyone ask to borrow hand tools either.

I only make exceptions for very specific people who have demonstrated that they will treat my tools with appropriate care. One is my Father. He can use any tool I have at any time without asking. Of course, there are lots of people on here that I would happily loan tools to. But normally it is the case that the people deserving of borrowing tools don't need to because they have their own. The people who think chisels are for opening paint cans can go down the street to ACO.

But getting back to the original question, if you are going to loan a tool to someone, it should be in workable condition, even though it probably won't come back that way. What good does it do to loan someone a tool that doesn't work or isn't sharp?

Perhaps I'm in the minority.

I prefer to give away starter tools,
    in exchange for something the recipient
    will make with them.

There are good quality tools practically falling out of trees, around here.

My tools are for my use - only.
    They're finicky, and I don't like fettling.

A couple chisels, a saw or two and a #4 will get most Newbies started.

Blog Entries
    I have beater chisels and good chisels. The good chisels don't get loaned out. The beaters, sure. I keep them all sharp. Dull tools are more dangerous.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Short answer- depends who's asking.

My neighbor borrows tools from often and has always things in good shape. One time he told me a clamp he borrowed was left out in the rain. He said he would replace it with a new one.It wasn't in perfect shape to start with so I told him just give it back, I'd clean it up. He said he'd clean it but insisted that he would also replace it. When I got it back it looked better than when I lent it out. His credit rating is still good and I told him to skip the new clamp!

If you knew of all the things that he and the family have done for us writing off a clamp or a small tool is no big deal.

The one nice power tool I have is a Delta Homecraft 10" bandsaw. It was bought new by my grandfather in the '50s, still have the manual in the shipping envelope with the Detroit zone code (predates zip codes) on it. My dad got it when grandpa passed away, then my older brother got it when Dad passed away. I got it when my brother passed away. I don't think of myself as the owner of it, just its caretaker. But I get to use it! When I'm gone it'll move along to someone else. Meanwhile if someone if the family needs it they just get to use it.

-Tom

I don't loan tools anymore after a couple of bad experiences. I have recently given starter tools to a good friend that is trying to learn the hobby. I'd rather give them to him than loan them.