Thread: DVR to 3520B tool rests

DVR to 3520B tool rests

I pulled the trigger and ordered a 3520B- I know that the tool rest posts are 1" (same as my DVR), but what about the length of the post? Are they interchangeable, or will I need longer posts due to increased swing?
    I cant keep the Nova, but I have several rests I'd like to keep if possible. if I can't use them I'll sell with the DVR.
    Thanks in advance, I've learned so much from this forum!
    "Time flys like an arrow........ Fruit flies like a bannana."

Based on the Robust chart, I think you may have problems. They show the 3520a&b needing the long post (5 1/4") while the DVR uses the standard post (3 3/4").
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Do you have a welder? You could always cut off the old post and weld on a new longer post. I had to do that when I bought by 3520. If you don't have a welder, it might be easier to sell the old and buy new....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

If you look on the Robust website, they offer a 'dogleg' for 1" tool rests. When I up graded to an AB the robust rests from my jet 1642 were just a little too short. The dogleg allows me to use them on the new lathe, with the plus of getting the banjo upright away from the bowl's rim when hollowing.

I have a 3 3/4" Robust that I use on my 3520B. It will reach to the top of the spindle. I don't use it much as I like the one that came with the lathe, just a personal choice.
    Fred

I have had several of the rests from my previous lathe "extended" to Powermatic length by a local welding shop. It wasn't expensive . . . and it started me dreaming up other things I wanted to have fabricated. The guys in the shop greet me by name now . . .

Welcome to the Mustard crew Andy.

Thanks, i don't have a welder, but I have something better... a brother-in-law with one!
    Appreciate the help,

The 3520 requires a 6" Post to reach center and still have a safe chunk in the banjo. If you order from someone like Robust, you order the length you want with then "long" post. You will love the 3520. Good luck and be safe.
    faust

Thanks so much for the info!