Thread: Spray Finish For Workbench?

Spray Finish For Workbench?

Hi all!

I'm building a workbench out of maple ply. It's 36" high, 60" long and has eight drawers. I've just bought a Rockler HVLP sprayer and would love to to test it out on this thing.

My question is, what would be the best finish for it? I'm sort of torn between a precatalized lacquer and a water based poly. I'm open to any other ideas, but was hoping for suggestions...

Also, what brands do you like? I remember hearing a while ago that Sherwin William Lacquer isn't bad. Does Home Despot sell anything worth while?

Thanks!

If you don't have a proper spray booth don't spray lacquer or any other solvent based products (shellac being the only exception) - unless you want to risk blowing up your house. That leaves you with WB products, which I still don't spray without a temporary spray booth but others do. The good news is there are many excellent WB products these days. My favorite for general use is General Finishes High Performance Poly (which is mostly acrylic). It's very easy to spray and produces a beautiful, hard, durable finish. It's only downfall is it's not all that chemical durable. For a very high level of chemical durability I use GF's Enduro Clear Poly. It's also easy to spray. The top end product from GF is their WB Enduro Conversion Varnish. However, I've never used it so I can't give you any personal experience with it.

If I were doing your project I'd probably just spray it with a coat of two of shellac and call it good. I would not put any film forming finish on the top. It'll be slippery and get beaten up anyway over time. Instead, I'd put a couple of coats of Danish Oil on it to help protect it. On my own assembly bench I just tack nail a sheet of 1/8" Masonite on top. When it gets really ratty I flip it over, then replace it when that side is shot.

John

Blog Entries
    +1 on all John said. Care when spraying combustibles is not an option. Brittle finishes on a workbench normally don't play well and not just on the top. A look at the dings and bumps that my BLO finish takes in stride would look quite a bit more tragic if the material was covered in a hard shell finish.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

+2 I use an oil/varnish blend on all my benches. Drawer fronts and cabinets side have anything I have left over.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Okay, I'm convinced...

I try some Watco Danish Oil.

Thanks.

I just use BLO a couple times a year after a light sanding to remove residual dirt and grime...and the only reason I put that on is to allow for easier cleanup of glue droplets, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...