Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This a Decent Scroll Saw?

Is This a Decent Scroll Saw?

I have an opportunity to trade some wood for an older Delta 40-450. I'll pay shipping for my wood to him, and for the saw to me. My shipping costs will be less than $100 and the wood although quite valuable is a species I harvest myself so all in all I'll have well under $200 in this trade if I do it. It looks to be in good shape to me. He says it runs and that he used it a few times before he discovered turning and hasn't flipped the ON/OFF switch since then. I don't question his word I know him to be an honest guy.

I would be using the saw for simple to moderate level intarsia inlays in my woodworking, and not using it often perhaps 3 to 5 times a year. But I'm a fairly okay woodworker and I appreciate tool quality. I realize this isn't a Canadian made Excalibur (the newer ones are not the same build quality as I have been told) nor an RBI Hawk nor a DeWalt. But I'm looking to spend that kind of money on one. I also won't settle for a POJ from the borg etc. so I'm trying to find something in the 5 to 7 range on a scale of 10.

Do any of you have this model or have ever had it? If so what is your opinion of it considiring what I have described as my intended use? I won't be doing highly intricate flat type scroll work if that makes a difference.
    Can't complain about a thing!

Looks like a decent scroll saw. The things most people consider important in a scroll saw are:

1. Variable speed. Some of the really old scroll saws had step pulleys to change the speed. Those are very inconvenient and you only get discrete speeds.
    2. Depth of throat. This depends on what work you plan to do. The depth of throat limits the size of what you're going to saw.
    3. Tool-less blade changes, and ease of blade change - how easy it is to remove the old blade and put a new one in. You break a lot of scroll saw blades, especially if you use the very small blades.

Beyond that, you probably want a stand, and a foot switch but you can build a stand and a foot switch is not that expensive.

Can't think of anything else but I'm sure others will.

Mike

[I have a 26" RBI Hawk and have been satisfied with it.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-18-2014 at 10:18 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That saw is long discontinued and parts are going to be hard to find. The saw should sell for about $75.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

Mike thanks for the input just what I'm looking for.

Rick, do you know this from experience, with this particular saw? I ask because I own much older Rockwell/Delta machines and have not had much trouble getting parts for most of them even through the recent horrible Delta transition and parts availability nightmare. I was even able to get the T & G 20" tires for my R/D 28-3X0 bandsaw last year in the midst of all the hullabaloo. So I need to know whether you're just giving me a generic reply or you actually know what you're talking about as to parts availability with this particular saw because I'm trying to decide if I want to do this deal. The money is not much obviously but my time is worth more. For example if your price point is accurate at $75 but parts are not easy to get it may not be worth $7.50 to someone like me or even 75 cents.

Waynesboro, PA - about 22 Mi SW of Gettysburg
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jaynes View Post
    Mike thanks for the input just what I'm looking for.

Rick, do you know this from experience, with this particular saw? I ask because I own much older Rockwell/Delta machines and have not had much trouble getting parts for most of them even through the recent horrible Delta transition and parts availability nightmare. I was even able to get the T & G 20" tires for my R/D 28-3X0 bandsaw last year in the midst of all the hullabaloo. So I need to know whether you're just giving me a generic reply or you actually know what you're talking about as to parts availability with this particular saw because I'm trying to decide if I want to do this deal. The money is not much obviously but my time is worth more. For example if your price point is accurate at $75 but parts are not easy to get it may not be worth $7.50 to someone like me or even 75 cents.
    What Rick said is good info. As far as his experience base with scroll saws, I would direct you to http://scrollsaws.com/.
    "It's important to teach children how to think -- One should never teach them what to think."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Giroux View Post
    What Rick said is good info. As far as his experience base with scroll saws, I would direct you to http://scrollsaws.com/.
    Evidently he assumed I knew his experience was vast, or that I even know who he is. That's a tad arrogant IMO considering he didn't have time to mention it. I made it no secret I don't know scroll saws at all. I am just seeking information about this one in particular not a lesson in ego. Freud covered that amply. Thanks for all your relevant info about this saw as well. It's almost as relevant as Master Rick's.

Maybe I should reiterate my question. Do any of you have this model or have ever had it?

Scroll saws on Craigslist seem to go cheap around here, probably because not many people buy them. I bought mine on Craigslist and got a good deal. The guy told me he bought it for his wife, who wanted to do scroll sawing. But after a few projects, she decided that wasn't what she wanted to do. So he really wanted to get rid of it.

You might find that other people have the same situation and you may be able to find one cheap. I've seen the 20" Hawk go cheap around here (around $300).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Evidently he assumed I knew his experience was vast, or that I even know who he is. That's a tad arrogant IMO considering he didn't have time to mention it. I made it no secret I don't know scroll saws at all. I am just seeking information about this one in particular not a lesson in ego. Freud covered that amply. Thanks for all your relevant info about this saw as well. It's almost as relevant as Master Rick's.

Maybe I should reiterate my question. Do any of you have this model or have ever had it?
    If you don't like people's advice, ignore it. No reason to be rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Scroll saws on Craigslist seem to go cheap around here, probably because not many people buy them. I bought mine on Craigslist and got a good deal. The guy told me he bought it for his wife, who wanted to do scroll sawing. But after a few projects, she decided that wasn't what she wanted to do. So he really wanted to get rid of it.

You might find that other people have the same situation and you may be able to find one cheap. I've seen the 20" Hawk go cheap around here (around $300).

Mike
    Good advice. I've gotten many great deals off of Cl and have been watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    If you don't like people's advice, ignore it. No reason to be rude.
    In no way have I been rude. I'm asking for opinions on a specific tool from members that own it. I made that crystal from the beginning. How long have you owned your 40-450 Wade?

Blog Entries

And if he did mention his experience you probably would think that was arrogant! That's why you are coming off as rude!
    If you haven't used a scroll saw much, the delta is an ok starter machine. If you use or much, you'll want better. So you decide. I would disagree that you're planned use for intarsia doesn't need precision. Imprecise cuts will drive you nuts!

I had the same saw, it worked great, but when it got to where I couldn't buy replacement parts anymore I purchased a hegner off of craigslist for $300. now I really have a GREAT scoll saw whit parts always available and super customer service. PS I have heard a lot good reviews on the DEWALT DW788 too.

Good luck.

It's likely an OK saw but not something I would pick based on past experience with Delta scrollsaws. I would watch the used market for a Hegner or RBI, lots of both around as they marketed pretty heavy at fairs, trade shows, etc, for many years. I have a Hegner and it's a fantastic scrollsaw (originally planned to buy a RBI, but found a deal on the Hegner).

Robert

Kevin,

I have a Delta Q3 40-650 and a DeWalt DW788. I previously owned a Delta 40-450 and I almost quit scroll sawing because of my unhappiness with it. The blade grips were very difficult to use and frequently failed to hold the blade. It also required a substantial table or something heavy to keep it from bouncing at higher speeds because the mechanism was not well balanced.
    I upgraded to the Delta Q3 40-650 and it was a significant improvement, much better balanced, and significantly better blade grips. Shortly after I bought it Delta merged with DeWalt and my Delta Q3 was discontinued, I believe because the DeWalt DW788 was considered to be much better. I got the chance to buy a DeWalt sometime later and now have the two scroll saws. Doing my own side by side comparison of them, the cut quality of both is about the same. The DeWalt blade grips and the blade tension adjustment are a significant improvement over the Delta. The Delta blade grips and tension adjustment work OK, but they aren't as convenient to use. Both saws produce very little vibration at nearly any speed. I also like the speed control of the DeWalt. The one in the Delta saw is not instant starting and doesn't control the motor speed very well - there is about a 2 second pause after pressing the on switch before the motor starts and then the motor overshoots the set speed by a guess of about 20% and then settles back to the set speed over the next few seconds. This doesn't affect the operation of the saw, but it just sounds wrong and poorly designed. The DeWalt saw has an eliptical blade hole in the table with no ability to use a zero clearance insert. I have to put a sheet of thin plywood on top of the table held on with double sided tape to act as the zero clearance insert when cutting small or easy splintering wood. On the Delta Q3 there is an insert in the table that is the same size as their band saw inserts and I can buy plastic band saw inserts that fit it perfectly when I need the zero clearance capability. As of today www.ereplacements.com is stocking most of the parts for repairing both my Delta Q3 40-650 and my DeWalt DW788 saws.

Having seen pictures of your wood on www.ncwoodworker.net, I think you should hold out to trade for a much better saw or buy a DeWalt 788 and sell the wood for what it's really worth. I think you will be money ahead. That's some beautiful wood.

Charley

Yes, I have have used that saw. I have also used many of the others mentioned. My go-to saw is the Delta Q-3 and my back up saw is a Delta P-20. Parts are not available for them either, but I have 3 of the Q-3 saws and 2 of the P-20 saws for parts if needed. I also own 2 of the 40-450 saws. To me that is a very basic saw for a beginner, not near as smooth running as many of the other saws mentioned.
    Again as for parts, I get requests weekly for where can I find parts, and I have not had any luck finding them or heard of anyone else finding a supply for parts. The saw was discontinued when Delta first sold, and now the second owner of Delta does not have any parts either that i have found. Sometimes you can find a service center that has a few parts of old stock, bu they are hard to find.

Check this page for some pricing: http://for-sale.yakaz.com/delta-16-inch-scroll-saw
    Last edited by Rick Hutcheson; 12-19-2014 at 8:40 AM.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com