Thread: Planer, can't make up my mind!

Planer, can't make up my mind!

Can't seem to make up my mind on a 13" planer. I can get a used 2008 General 30-010M1 for $250. I'm told it's only been used for about 7 cabinet projects. (Would have to go and see it in person.)

http://www.general.ca/products/4_starshop/30-010S.html
    http://www.amazon.com/General-Intern...productDetails

Or the Rigid R4331 for $549, or the Dewalt DW735 for $699

They all seem comparable, General & Dewalt has 2 speeds. They all have locking heads, depth gauge. Though the older one is a 2 blade.

I see myself doing a mix of pine, cedar, maple, walnut and maybe some cherry. More of a weeknight / weekend warrior usage, is it worth it to pony up and get the brand new one? Take a chance on the old General...
    William Desrochers - Bitmap to Vector Artist
    Excalibur Creations

Do you want a disposable planer, or one you can leave to your grandkids? Here (central NC) used 13-15" real planers go for between $300 and $750, depending mostly upon the brand

I really like the dw735. In the states you can buy it from Amazon with out feed tables and extra blades for $547.

Keep your eyes out for a used Foley Belsaw planer. Usually go for $350-$500. I have a 5hp model. It's a beast. I believe there are two right now for sale on Craigslist in my area.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Belsaw-owners

I'll second the vote for a good used planer. The benchtops are Ok for a board now and then, but if you plan any serious woodworking with hardwoods a 3-5 Hp, cast iron model is where you want to be looking. RBI also made a nice planer and happens to be the model I picked up used with a Balder motor, extra blades, molding head, cutters, and lots more for $750. If you want new Grizzly has some models much better than the benchtops for not much more change.

Robert

If I had the space, I wouldn't think twice about going straight for a floor model. Alas, limited space is a big issue at the moment. I may have to reorganize the shop soon.
    Excalibur Creations

There is a Foley Belsaw near me for sell, it looks like it's seen better days from the photos... I may take a drive to see it. Waiting to here back from them for more info.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-outils-electr...2po/1037710758
    Excalibur Creations

Like many others, I have the DW735. I have a small shop, so have to move stuff around a lot.

The DW 735 is great. No complaints, except the obvious only 13" limitation. And, it is super loud. I have to wear ear plugs and muffs with it.

I hope to get the Byrd Shelix head for Christmas. That will make it even better. I have cut contrary grain with it, and turned out suprisingly great.

Well, I just got back from checking out the used machine. It's practical brand new, it was an retiree who's moving into a condo. It still has some of the blue shrink film on it, manual and everything. Ran some tests and I was pretty impressed, needs a little tweaking on the outfeed table. Very quite compared to others I've used, hell I think it's more quite than my tablesaw!

I got the price lowered and went with it. I think I'll be happy. Will post an update in a few months after I get using it....
    Excalibur Creations

I take it to mean you bought the Foley/Belsaw. I have one a little newer than the one in the link; paid $250 for it but it needed some work to get it back running properly. It's a really simple machine so they are not hard to work on and generic parts can often be used. Anyway, it's a rough running but smooth cutting beast of a machine and I've planed and molded a lot of stock through it in the past 5 years. I think you'll enjoy having it, especially compared to a lunchbox planer. I don't have any infeed/outfeed beds on mine and don't see the need. Eliminating those would save you a lot of space and it would have about as small a footprint as the lunchbox on a stand.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I take it to mean you bought the Foley/Belsaw. I have one a little newer than the one in the link; paid $250 for it but it needed some work to get it back running properly. It's a really simple machine so they are not hard to work on and generic parts can often be used. Anyway, it's a rough running but smooth cutting beast of a machine and I've planed and molded a lot of stock through it in the past 5 years. I think you'll enjoy having it, especially compared to a lunchbox planer. I don't have any infeed/outfeed beds on mine and don't see the need. Eliminating those would save you a lot of space and it would have about as small a footprint as the lunchbox on a stand.

John
    No, sorry... I bought the General Planer (Which looks almost identical to the Grizzly 689). The Foley/Belsaw was worst off and they didn't want to dicker down.
    Excalibur Creations