Thread: Shapton discontinuing the glass stones?

Blog Entries

Shapton discontinuing the glass stones?

I wonder what is going on. Seems tools from Japan can no longer get them in JP. Perhaps too hard/expensive to manufacture?

http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/...th=335_404_485

Blog Entries
    It's been that way for a long time at TFJ. I Imagine it has more to do with Shapton marketing them only to export OR TFJ don't want to sell them because they are "bad" value.

That would be a bummer. I like those.

Amazon and Woodcraft apparently still have them (but that doesnt mean they can get any more).

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I like mine, although I recently noticed that when flattening them there was a hump in the middle. It should be the other way around- a dish in the middle. It caused me to wonder if they had warped somehow. I checked my lapping plate (DMT diamond lapping plate) and it was dead flat. I tried another diamond stone and it had the same result- the waterstone was abrading in the middle before the edges.

I I just bought the Chosera 400 because I have tons of new irons to flatten, and I hate my Norton 220, and I wanted something less than my 1000. I use coarse diamond stones to flatten and then move to waterstones. Also I really want to try the Choseras and the 400 at $50 is a good way to do so. Currently in the Shapton Glass I have 1000, 4000, 8000, 16000.

Brian Holcombe, once again you are to blame for me spending money- posting about the drop in the yen. :-)

Blog Entries
    Malcolm, how do you like the 400cho? I recently bought the 800 and 3000, I don't use the 800 much because I use a fine eze-lap as a 1k, but the 3000 is so far my favorite waterstone bar non.

Blog Entries
    I seem to have hit the "post to blog" button instead of "reply to thread."

I was saying- It has yet to arrive and will be at least a couple of weeks. I will post an update when it gets here.

Blog Entries
    ......Thanks