Thread: Sharpen Easy wood tool inserts on worksharp 3000

Sharpen Easy wood tool inserts on worksharp 3000

Has anyone successfully sharpened an easy wood tool carbide insert with the worksharp 3000? I have the Tormek 185 jig that is made to sharpen the inserts, but I did not know if the paper on the worksharp will work to sharpen carbide. If anyone has done this before, or has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

I have not sharpened the inserts on a worksharp but have successfully sharpened them on the side of a Tormek just by holding the cutting side of the insert against the side (not the front) of the stone with my finger. The Tormek grinds so slow it is not an issue holding it with my finger.

Also check out this short video. This works as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBgbhG373LE

To me it seems that the 'grit' in whatever sharpening surface you are going to use would have to be harder than the carbide to sharpen it efficiently. Most carbides are as hard as, or harder than aluminum oxide which means this will be very slow going if not futile. In other words I don't think the issue will be the paper backing but the abrasive grit that will be the key to success here.

I can't speak for other tools, but the EWT carbide is a really high grade. Sharpening it would be extremely difficult. It kind of defeats the purpose. You can successfully hone it by rubbing a diamond hone across the flat (top) side, but it is well worth it to buy another cutter. If you are off a little on the angle, you will ruin the cutter. It's not like a standard tool where you can change the angle to suit your needs.

I've been doing it on the Tormek and diamond stone for 2 years and it sharpens well. It may take a while on the Tormek (30 seconds).

I'm not changing the angle on the insert...I am taking the insert to a stationary diamond stone not the other way around.

Beats spending $17.00-$18.00 for an insert.

There was a link on here a while ago selling replacement carbide inserts for about 1/3 the price... or 3 of the same price.. It was a fellas name ... the company.

Here I think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.eddiecastelin.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.