Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper hand screw torque

Proper hand screw torque

How much do you all tighten your plane cap screws, and spokeshave screws, and other assorted hand tighten tool parts?

My suspicion is that I overtighten.

Should I just go with less (just "snug") and then see when the blade starts to move back?

Sometimes, I have a hard time getting them loose. Especially the LV sharpening jig. Especially. Just paranoid the blade will move while sharpening-bad news, right?

Blog Entries
    Wood/brass or brass/brass much less so than steel/steel. I am occasionally guilty of not tightening enough, but I feel that is better than the alternative.

also I usually put a good bit of camellia oil on working parts and screws to reduce the effort needed to move them.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Turn it until something snaps, then back it off a half turn.

I use the Guttenteit method.

Blog Entries
    I am an often accused over-tightener. On my hand tools I consciously use less torque than I normally would. Like Brian, if it slips I use a bit more as opposed to going all-in right off the bat. You tend to get a feel for each tool and the torque required after a bit of use.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Turn it until something snaps, then back it off a half turn.
    Mr. Pierce must have some experience with repairing classic cars. That's the method I use!
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

How can such a question be answered? We all do not have mini torque wrenches to quantify tightening.

On your planes,experimentally try just tightening some and use it to see if the blade slips. Tighten some more gradually finding out what is enough to keep the blade from slipping.

I like Joshua's method the best.

I don't crank down on things with all my might, but I suppose I tend more toward the "tight" side of things than the "just snug" side. I'd rather have something too tight than learning in the middle of an important cut that something moved. So obviously it varies with the situation. If something moving would be a mini disaster, tighten some more. Experimenting ahead of time is a good idea too. But if one is mechanically inclined at all, you tend to develop a pretty good sense for how much you can tighten something without risk of causing damage.

I try to include those who are not mechanically inclined in my scenarios. But,what you say about those who are is true,Ryan.

Now I know for sure that this area is more art than science; I ask the question because there is not an easy answer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    Now I know for sure that this area is more art than science; I ask the question because there is not an easy answer.
    It will be different for different situations. For the science side of it there are charts and wrenches in various units of length/weight measurements. For the home woodworker it is experience and personal preference.

Experimenting ahead of time is a good idea too. But if one is mechanically inclined at all, you tend to develop a pretty good sense for how much you can tighten something without risk of causing damage.
    Experimenting with things for a few hours in the shop or home is one way to build a good store of knowledge more vast than all that can be read on the internet in the same time.

My experience taught me fairly early that it is easy to snap a bolt. Like many things, if you do it all the time you get a feel for it.

Having a torque wrench is handy because it can also be used to judge one's own strength.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

As George Wilson said. Enough but no more. Slips ? Tighten a little more.
    + 1 on greasing the threads on the nuts on the sharpening jig so they are easy to get loose and add smooth washers if you have left yours off.

((((ha, ha, or to beat the horse a time or two more . . . use the Bevel Up planes with the Norris style adjuster (Veritas) and SHE AIN'GONNA SLIP even with light cap screw setting))))) ((((sorry couldn't help it))))).

aaaaaaannnnnnnnd maybe this will help.
    I never go anywhere without it.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 12-21-2014 at 4:05 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    I think my dial inch-lb torque wrench takes the cake for most un-used tool. I bought it prior to developing 'feel' for setting ring and pinion gears to spec and it's sat in the box ever since.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

most un-used tool
    Yes . . . most every thing an experienced mechanic can just do without the torque wrench.
    For flanged/gasketed set ups that is when the old torquerator helps to get that nice even force all around. Some bolts in my trade have people dropping their jaw when I tighten the fastener to the "must have to keep it from falling apart torque" and then let them put a fraction of a turn on it to feel for them selves what that is.

I love the response by one factory rep to a chronic problem we had many years ago: "Grease the thing you are NEVER supposed to grease and DOUBLE THE TORQUE.
    So much for rules and specs.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    I think my dial inch-lb torque wrench takes the cake for most un-used tool.
    There is a tool in my kit that is less used. That would be a cracking tool to pop open the early Macintosh cases. My torque wrech did see service back in the days of me doing VW work. Then again it was used while employed as a transit vehicle technician for a public rail transit district. Another tool comes to mind, my fence ring pliers don't get a lot of use either.

Most of the time letting go of a tool, even a little used tool, has brought on second thoughts. Now only tools that have duplicates or triplicates are sold off or given away.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)