Thread: What size to tap for stripped 10-24 bolts?

What size to tap for stripped 10-24 bolts?

Hi folks

I've managed to strip two bolts on my Incra Miter 1000HD. The thread is 10-24 and I'll need to tap a new thread to get the miter gauge to work again. I doubt I'll get an Imperial bolt with a Hex insert head here in South Africa so I was wondering what the next size up would be in Metric?

5mm is a bit bigger than 10-24 but I don't know if the difference is enough once I've drilled.

Am I making sense here?

Thanks.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

JKM in Randburg will be able supply that size. Tapping to 5mm will be a little loose. Best alternative would be to fit an insert (timeset or alternative - also available at JKM). Then there will never be problems with getting obsolete imperial stuff. Phil
    Last edited by Phil Hansen; 12-19-2014 at 11:00 AM.

You'll have to go to 6mm or 1/4 - 20. I'm having trouble thinking of a bolt hole on the Incra where something like a helicoil would work, but that's nearly always the best solution in aluminum. I'm of the opinion that if it was cost effective to do so, every threaded aluminum hole would have steal threads of some sort from day one, because aluminum, more or less, is lousy at holding threads.

Aren't all the threads int the incra gauges pretty much into steel or steel t-track inserts?

i'd bet money the holes in the aluminum fence are stripped.

Hilton, the M5 will not have enough thread. You will need to go with the M6 X 1, tap drill size - #9 (.196 decimal) or 1/4-20 UNC, tap drill size - #7 (.201 decimal)
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks guys for the feedback. Looks like I'll use either 6mm or 1/4-20 and visit JKM on Monday if Builders don't have something.

Like a plonker I actually managed to strip two of the holes trying to get the gauge to be exactly 90° to the blade. I've tried so many times that not only have I run out of plywood making the 5-cut test but my wife thinks I'm an idiot.

incra_stripped.jpg

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    my wife thinks I'm an idiot.
    My wife hasn't seen me screw anything up yet, but doesn't stop her from thinking I'm an idiot...

As to the effectiveness of a 6x1.00 metric thread.........Don't need to look any further than a Japanese M/C.They can almost build an entire bike using them?Translated;they should be available anywhere...Japanese M/C are.

Metric vs Imperial threads is a deep subject and can almost be an "undiscussable" topic.In anycase,6x1.00 is very popular thread callout.

Not much thickness in that part so you don't want to go too big and end up with a half a thread in it. I'm thinking 1/4-28 would be better than 1/4-20. If I'm doing my math right, 1.00 is 25.4 threads per inch.

IIRC the rule of thumb is 3 threads in the material minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Not much thickness in that part so you don't want to go too big and end up with a half a thread in it. I'm thinking 1/4-28 would be better than 1/4-20. If I'm doing my math right, 1.00 is 25.4 threads per inch.

IIRC the rule of thumb is 3 threads in the material minimum.
    That's exactly what I was worried about. Of course 1/4-28 is not that common any more but I just happen to have bought three such bolts from a local shop (JKM) a little while back as I needed a thumb screw fix for my Stanley #80 scraper which uses such a thread.

I may just try that as I have a tap for that thread as well. I won't be able to use a hex wrench but a normal spanner (wrench) will work.

Ta.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    12-24 is a viable step up if the hole isn't already too big ...there is a 1/4-24 that I'm sure would be a special order ...but it does exist.

According to my Handy Dandy Gorilla thread gauges, 6mm is too close to 1/4". Next size up is 8mm.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    According to my Handy Dandy Gorilla thread gauges, 6mm is too close to 1/4". Next size up is 8mm.
    He's trying to step up from 10-24.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Duh. Then 6mm or 1/4-20
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night