Thread: Rockwell Bandsaw Trunnion ?

Rockwell Bandsaw Trunnion ?

I was given a 35 year old Rockwell 28-200 bandsaw. After a thorough cleaning, bearing packing, tire replacement and general tune up, it is running nicely. As is typically the case with this saw, someone used the table to move it around and broke the rear trunnion and the trunnion support bracket. The previous owner used JB Weld and did a halfway decent job of repairing them, but obviously I would like to replace them. I have found the rear trunnions on ebay to fit the Jet 14" bandsaw

ebay/171349725511?pt=LH

and also a support bracket for a Ridgid bandsaw

ebay/400808528888?pt=LH

Does anyone know if these will fit my bandsaw without modification? I know the Delta/Rockwell parts come up on ebay occasionally, but I was hoping that these may be better quality than the originals plus the fact that they are cheaper. Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-19-2014 at 1:31 PM.

Can anyone help me out?

Curt

It would help if you could post a photo of your current bandsaw trunnion. The images I can find on google don't provide enough detail of the trunnion itself.

The Rockwell, and Delta, from that era are more or less "clones" of each other. Newer bandsaws are based off of this design and have many similarities, but some design differences, the trunnions especially. The earlier models, like yours, had some good "beef" in the trunnion area.

In the images I was able to look at, the trunnion on the Rockwell 28-200 looks a lot different than the ones on my Jet. I'm not certain that either of those would be a direct replacement.

A little more looking and I found this;

eBay Item 271698835162
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-21-2014 at 6:21 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I had a similar problem with a 14" delta saw I bought used, both trunnions were missing. Read some where that the delta design was copied exactly by many companies. so I went to parts.com and ordered trunnions for a powermatic bandsaw, bolt holes lined up and they fit perfectly. Sourced the bolts locally from the hardware store. I think it was Powermatic. search this subject on SMC which is where I found a thread that suggested it. They were inexpensive so it was not a huge risk money wise. the only down side is the angle scale and pointer are not on the Powermatic parts.
    good luck.

Get a Delta part. Go to owwm org and post a WTB in the BOYD section.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

If you have all the parts somebody competent can braze it back together good as new. I've done them on both bandsaws and disc sanders. Right now I have a Baldor carbide grinder that the previous owner dropped and broke the trunnions on both sides. Since HF cloned the grinder some years ago he got replacement trunnions from them. They are not really trunnions, they are trunnion shaped objects. So sticky it is an exercise in frustration to get the table turned to an angle.

Yes, replacement trunnions may work but there is probably going to be a problem with accuracy.
    Larry

Thanks for the replies everyone. Here are a couple of pics of what I'm talking about:
    20141221_191109.jpg
    I have read that the powermatic (and maybe the ridgid I listed?) trunnion support base will work but I cannot find a good enough pic to see if they are tapped for the lower guide assembly.
    20141221_191200.jpg
    The trunnion is 4" long overall and 1.25" wide. The center to center measurements are 2" between the bolts on the same side of the trunnion and 1.875" between the centerlines of the side bolts (across the trunnion).

Took your advice Myk and posted on owwm. Hopefully I'll get some leads. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I know some had success using R & D turnniun(click on parts and accessories),it is supposed to fit most 14" bandsaws:

Inturra has Delta trunnions as well as Jet. 904 642 2802