Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting WiFi to shop

Blog Entries
    With the new powerline Ethernet it's not necessary for them to be on the same leg for reasons cited above.

Thanks!

I've got a D-Link DIR-655 router hanging around and my goal is to set that up as a WAP in the shop. I haven't built the shop computer yet but I should be able to use the wifes laptop the configure the router as an AP. Should have something going by tomorrow afternoon.......

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Just be sure you're not using the "router" portion of that D-Link. Turn off the DHCP, etc., in it so it doesn't interfere with your primary router and plug into one of the "regular" Ethernet ports, not the "WAN" port, if it has one.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Brian Hale,

I'm not a WiFi expert principally because I've always had everything wired. However, presently, I have several systems on WiFi that are about 60' from the modem / router and separated by a floor and three walls. In my moderate experience, results seem to be more dependent on the nature of the objects separating the signal source and destination than the distance. I have a Linksys AE3000 dual band USB adapter which may be plugged into a USB port or set in a stand connected by a USB cable. Currently, set near an outside window, it is detecting 18 networks of poor, fair, good, and excellent- including someone's "HP 610" printer. I would say that the nearest external router would have to be at least 100' away and the next nearest 150'+, plus the additional walls and floors. My network is shown in Windows Network Center as running consistently at 144MB/s, though this is sometimes 130 or 117MB/s. My other systems use Linksys WPN600N PCI cards- there's a pair of little antennas on the back and these receive my network at 144 MB/s also plus usually about 8-9 other networks. I've had five of these and recommend them to anyone with a spare PCI slot needing WiFi. These are inexpensive too as they're obsolete, PCI and not PCIe- I just bought a really good one used on Ebahh for $7 and NOS ones are sometimes $18-25.

Overall, I think the combination of high gain antenna or similar as suggested by Roger Wiegan and a good USB receiving adapter that can be moved and oriented for best results- like the AE3000- might work in your situation.

The interesting thing in this thread is how many people face this situation as a problem and the number of experiments and different solutions.

Alan Caro
    Last edited by Alan Caro; 12-22-2014 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Not entirely sure !

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Just be sure you're not using the "router" portion of that D-Link. Turn off the DHCP, etc., in it so it doesn't interfere with your primary router and plug into one of the "regular" Ethernet ports, not the "WAN" port, if it has one.
    In addition to what Jim said, be sure the change the I.P. address on the second machine.. Having more than one machine with the same I.P. address is like having more than one house with the same address -- the 'post office' gets confused and nothing gets delivered. Actually, from a security standpoint it's not a bad idea to not have any 19.2.168.1.1 addresses. If I wanted to subvert someone's home network for my own nefarious purposes, where would be a good place to target? Yup, 192.168.1.1. And change the default username and password for the same reason.

Good catch, Curt. One absolutely must be careful that the two devices are not sharing the same 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 default addresses that are typical "out of the box" from the router manufacturers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I sure hope Brian reports back on his results. I am very curious to see if he has success.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Well despite Amazons Guaranteed Sunday delivery, i won't get it till this afternoon and won't get a chance to play with it till Tuesday or Thursday but i will post what results I get.

Thanks again for all your input!!

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

Brian,

If you decide to "hardwire" by running the fiber, call around to some of the sprinkler systems companies.

When I retired, there were 4 things I wanted done to my house. One of those was to replace the galvanized domestic water line coming into the house as both the neighbors one either side of me had to replace their water lines already, one guy had to do it twice. I wanted copper.

A local sprinkler company had a machine referred to as a "mole" they dug 4 holes....one outside the basement wall at the new entry point....one at the corner of the house....one at about half way to the new control box....and the one for the new shutoff. The mole is pneumatic and it digs its way from hole to hole.....no ditching necessary. When it arrives at the next hole, a rope is passed through the ring it's nose, it's direction reversed and it pulls the rope back to the first hole. We used a rope to pull a cable......the cable was attached to a roll of 1" copper line....his Toyota truck pulled the new copper line. We didn't have to trench the drive way or the grass in the yard merely dig the holes big enough to get a man and the tool into hole. It was quicker,cheaper and less damaging than ditching.

The mole can go under your driveway....under the wall ..... it's worth the time spent researching.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If you have Prime, make sure to contact them and claim a free month of membership. The "guarantee" part of the guaranteed delivery date is that if they or their carrier misses a date, you get a free month of membership up to 12 times a year. Just chat with someone, give them the order number, and ask for the 1-month extension.

That's interesting Matt, i didn't know that. I've had Prime since 2005 (i think) and this is only the second time a delivery promise wasn't met. I'll mention that when i call them

Thank you
    Brian

For those interested......

I didn't receive my order on Sunday as promised. I got a notification that it was delivered yesterday but it never arrived. Called Amazon and they are shipping another one that is due to arrive Friday and they extended my prime membership by one month.

Thanks for the tip Matt!!!

I hate waiting.... Must be getting impatient in my old age

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Hale; 12-23-2014 at 6:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    I didn't receive my order on Sunday as promised. I got a notification that it was delivered yesterday but it never arrived. Called Amazon and they are shipping another one that is due to arrive Friday and they extended my prime membership by one month.
    Sunday delivery? Are you in one of those areas where Amazon is testing Sunday delivery?

Yes. Several times I've ordered stuff on a Saturday and found them on my porch before noon on Sunday. No extra charge.

Kind of cool but it raises my expectations which leads to disappointment

The plot thickens..........

This morning i got an email from UPS saying they'll be delivering a package from Amazon today. I don't have anything else on order so it must be the powerline adapter.

Great!

As I'm leaving the house at 4:15 this morning to head to work i find a box on my porch from Amazon. Yep, it's my powerline adapter

So now i need to contact Amazon again to schedule a pick-up

Such a waste of time and money