Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What I learned today.....

I learned that putting insulation in my shop ceiling is good work for someone about 25, not my age. I am not finished learning yet, I have only completed 25% of the job so far.

I also learned that I should have bought that snazzy (cool old guy word) pneumatic staple gun at Lowe's yesterday. Instead of cheaping out and using the arrow hand stapler. I have learned this so well that I will vewy, vewy qwietly make a trip back to Lowe's tomorrow under the guise of picking up her new range hood.

This insulation job is double, maybe triple hateful. We just moved, our old house had LOTS of storage space. This one? No space for a workshop so we built one. Problem is, all the machines and boxes needed to go into it before it was finished cause the garage has a brand new kitchen sitting in boxes waiting for the installer. I swear, I have moved those boxes and machines at least 3 times now! And it ain't over yet cause the fat lady has not sung.

I think I learned I should have sold all my shop tools and bought a boat....same concept: get hobby, spend money.

Ted...staple hammer for insulation work. You just swing it and in go the fasteners and it's especially easy if you are stapling the tabs to the inside of the joists where they should be, rather than face stapling to the bottom of the joists. This is the tool the pros use and it's handy to have around for home improvement tasks, too. I still have the same ones I had when I was "in the biz' many years ago.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I learned that when you run a piece on the router for the two sides and one front, but on the last run of the front, you forgot and ran the backside instead on the front, you just committed yourself to cutting another piece to run on the router for the two sides and one front. God, I love woodworking most of the time.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

I learned today I should've work in the shop instead of watching the Chiefs football game.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Today I learned that a 1 5/8"cove bit can cut a router cord really fast! The bit is 4" in diameter and I was routing a table edge. The router was riding on the edge and the table was standing up with me standing on the bench. It was the last cut and I was so relieved that it went well as I had a lot hours it the top, and as I pulled the router away..........

Stuff happens....

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    I learned that when you run a piece on the router for the two sides and one front, but on the last run of the front, you forgot and ran the backside instead on the front, you just committed yourself to cutting another piece to run on the router for the two sides and one front. God, I love woodworking most of the time.
    I DO understand this one, Don...and after learning that lesson more than once, I started putting a small piece of blue painter's tape on the "up" side including next to the face that needs to run against the router table fence. That cured this issue...the cut is on the correct face and along the correct edge.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

What did you learn today?

Larry
    Everything you learned, without the heartburn...thanks!
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I learned that I am not the only person is the world stupid enough to run their shaper cutters backwards - I can also say that, when paired with a power feeder and a too-long-but-too-lazy-to-cut-it-shorter test piece, it makes for a memorable shop experience.

I learned it would be best for me to remove my lock miter bit from the collet, walk out my back door and throw it into the woods. I figure I have about as much chance of getting consistent results from that blasted thing as a would seeing a pig with wings riding a unicorn blowing a duck call.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

Fred wins the prize, but I've learned that 100 lbs. is heavier at my age than it was when I was 20.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Fred wins the prize, but I've learned that 100 lbs. is heavier at my age than it was when I was 20.
    Bill
    When I moved my shop that I set up in my 30's there was a lot of stuff that I carried in that I could not pick up in my 50's. I feel your pain, literally.

It's heavier when you're in your 70s I have learned one helpful word HELP
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Bill
    At 40, I'm probably stronger than I've ever been in most respects, but the price for getting close to my limits is much higher.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

In regards to learning from mistakes. The best manager I ever had told me: "If you can't make mistakes, I don't need you." Of course he also said: "Once is a mistake, twice is stupid."
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I have learned I should not plane an 8' foot long X 12" wide piece of lumber with a lunchbox planer without proper infeed/outfeed tables!it cost me the old planer to figure out that roller stands tip over easily.