Thread: Paint Kitchen Cabinets

Paint Kitchen Cabinets

Any chemical product to paint on kitchen cabinets to make latex paint stick to it? I really dont want to have to sand them first.
    Scott
    Scott Loven

Make sure they are clean, no dirt, no grease. Fill any defects. Scuff sand. Apply a coat of BIN shellac based primer. Ready to paint.

John

Any chemical product to paint on kitchen cabinets to make latex paint stick to it? I really dont want to have to sand them first.
    The sanding required is a very light scuff sand - about like wiping the cabinets down with a damp cloth.
    Products such as the Insul-X above, Zinsser B*I*N, Glidden Gripper - are all going to recommend scuff sanding prior to application.
    The only product of that type that I'm aware of the doesn't/didn't recommend scuff sanding first was/is Zinsser 1*2*3.
    However - the last three times I used that product on three separate jobs months apart, it failed on me horribly.
    All I can say is, it used to work and now it doesn't appear to. I'll never use it again.
    YMMV with 1*2*3.

"Liquid sandpaper" is supposed to work. You can find it at any borg or paint or hardware store. Be sure to follow the directions to the letter.
    Most are just strong solvents that soften the old finish and temporarily remove any gloss. If the surface is allowed to stand too long, it will reharden and the gloss will return and you'll have the original problem back.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Key to getting any new finish to adhere long term is proper cleaning...generally with TSP or similar. There is a LOT of grease and dirt that is generated in a kitchen, both from cooking and from constant contact with human hands. This must be done prior to any scuffing that is aimed at mechanical adherence of the new finish. If after proper cleaning you do not want to take the time to do any scuffing/sanding, then you need to use a primer that's designed for that purpose. Some products are already mentioned in this thread. Sherwin Williams makes a (very expensive, but excellent) primer that can go over "shiny" and allow for good finish adhesion afterward. I used that in a recent renovation project to avoid having to sand a lot of "very shiny" trim work as well as deal with what I think was an old wall paper paste residue problem on the ceiling.

Please choose your paint carefully. Regular latex house paint isn't the best choice for kitchen cabinets. It's soft and sometimes a bit sticky. If you want to stay water based, use a 100% acrylic product that offers a harder finish. Or use an oil based product. Painting cabinets in a kitchen is a big enough pain that you just don't want to have to do it again very soon... Talk to a "real" paint store about your needs, not the "big box" paint department. Kitchens are not like other rooms in the home when it comes to painting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

+1 for the Insl X Cabinet Coat.....

My plan is to use this on my kitchen cabinets next summer, and as a dry run, I used the product on a bathroom vanity I built for the kids bathroom.

I had raw fresh wood though, no prepping needed.

20141117_161628.jpeg

20141126_230823.jpeg

Clean, clean, clean. Then sand. Then use a de-glosser, following the directions. I like the Krud Kutter brand of de-glosser myself (wear gloves when you use it).

Like Jim said, kitchen cabinets are exposed to a lot of grease and dirt, so they need to be thoroughly cleaned. The sanding provides some "tooth" for mechanical paint adhesion, and the de-glosser provides some chemical adhesion by softening the current finish. It also has the added benefit of cleaning away the sanding dust. Kitchen cabinets are also a high-use, high-wear item typically, so you need every advantage out of the gate you can muster. If at all possible, take the doors off and spray them (back side first). Use a high quality bonding primer and a high quality enamel for a top coat.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

For the record, Jason is a pro painter...listen to him. I have and benefited greatly from it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...