Thread: New to turning and the forum

New to turning and the forum

First off I'd like to thank you for your tips and techniques that I have enjoyed reading on the forum or seeing on YouTube. I've been turning about 7 months. So, a little about myself:

I am a long time woodworker and a new turner. I've been building cabinets and furniture for over 20 years and have amassed a huge pile of shorts that I just couldn't find a use for and hated to throw away. My wife is a glass artist and she approached me in May and said that she wanted to combine wood and glass together in a collaboration. I thought, "This is perfect... I always wanted a lathe!" Her desire was to make platters that she could inset her glass art in as cheeseboards. So that's how I got started. Bought a Nova 1624 lathe and a Sorby starter set, a few books and a lot of YouTube and Creek lurking and got started.

I have learned mostly by watching on the web and reading some excellent books and articles and feel like I am a solid novice in faceplate turned platters and shallow bowls. Here is some of my work and my wife and my collaborations.

Hard Maple 14" x 3" shallow bowl. As with every piece there are lessons to be learned. This was a challenging test of my gouge skills as the wavy and partially spalted grain showed me how much practice I needed. Perseverance and lots of sharpening won out though and my gouge skill improved a ton on this piece.

IMG_1232.jpg IMG_1233.jpgIMG_1237.jpg

Here are several of the collaborations with my wife. I do the wood and she does the glass....

_D3_6089.jpgIMG_0086 - 2014-11-18 at 10-24-08.jpgIMG_0131 - 2014-11-18 at 10-30-29.jpgIMG_0145 - 2014-11-18 at 10-32-43.jpgIMG_0152 - 2014-11-18 at 10-36-49.jpg

These are all 14-16" in diameter (other than #4 which is 9 inches) and the thickness ranges from 1-2". All were turned from left overs of kiln dried lumber (walnut, maple, and cherry). Sanded from 120-800 grit and finished with Odies Oil.

C&C welcome.

Thanks,

Jim Flynn

Very nice pieces, and welcome to the forum. I wish I had a lot of shorts that pretty. I like your bowl, and I really like the cheese platters. The glass goes nicely. It's really nice having your spouse involved in a common hobby. Mine really gets into the turning, but best of all, she likes to shop for pretty wood, and she is good at finding it. Good luck, and we want to see more of your work. We are definitely a picture kind of group.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Thanks for the welcome. I love your signature block... Well done.

Welcome to the Vortex! Your pieces are beautiful and like Brian said, we like pictures!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Jim - Welcome to the Creek! Beautiful work on everything - especially that hard maple bowl - just love the wood! Looking forward to seeing more of your collaborations!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!