Thread: potato peeler magic

potato peeler magic

So I was watching a video by Paul Sellers on the tube and he was demonstrating spoon carving. As he was doing his thing he mentioned 2 or 3 times how "if you can use a peel a potato you can certainly accomplish carving a spoon". So I almost instantly thought to myself how a peeler might actually work for slight chamfers. well it might be my new corner burner. I just tried it on a number of species and it works pretty well I must say. A couple of notes: it becomes obvious fairly quickly when you need to change the direction from which you are peeling from as to the grain direction(which is helpful), also this tool is comfortable to hold and cuts a consistent depth. Give it a go ....just don't tell the Mrs.

P.S. I did not even try to sharpen it yet

Blog Entries
    So I was watching a video by Paul Sellers on the tube and he was demonstrating spoon carving.
    Was he using a potato peeler to carve a spoon?

My latest purchase was a spoon shave from Woodcraft. Hopefully it is useable for spoon carving.

I bought a curved knife but it snapped in use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Paul S. was using a shave.

A peeler probably works almost as well as these.

The potato / carrot peeler might work, for a while, but it will no doubt get dull quickly and then wifey will find a stray shaving stuck to it, then what? Sh e'll suspect you of using her cheese grater as a surform and her butcher knife as a trimming axe, and her paring knife as a detail carver. The what will she think your doing with her cosmetic devices? Its a slppery slope - you best get off it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Belair View Post

I had a couple of those. The ones I had werent worth much, and performed that way. I find using a block plane to be much better for chamfers.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I had the original version sold by LV. These were given to me as a gift and I like them so much I promptly sold the original set. They work very well!
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...30,41182,41200
    Last edited by Ron Kellison; 12-23-2014 at 9:56 AM.
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    The potato / carrot peeler might work, for a while, but it will no doubt get dull quickly and then wifey will find a stray shaving stuck to it, then what? Sh e'll suspect you of using her cheese grater as a surform and her butcher knife as a trimming axe, and her paring knife as a detail carver. The what will she think your doing with her cosmetic devices? Its a slppery slope - you best get off it.
    Pat, how long ago was it you put the camera in my kitchen?

I aint fessin' up to nothing.

Happy Holidays to all.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kellison View Post
    I had the original version sold by LV. These were give to me as a gift and I like them so much I promptly sold the original set. They work very well!
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...30,41182,41200
    Thanks Ron! I like the handles on those - the tool looks more controllable. Have you figured out how to sharpen them? I just didnt have the right files, stone or whatever, which may be why I didnt like mine - they were never sharp enough.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I use 1000-grit wet-dry paper wrapped around the appropriate size dowel rod. Finish the job with green compound applied directly to the dowel.
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Belair View Post

Yes, I have those somewhere. Another unused tool.

That does it!! I am making my next chest of drawers out of a giant Idaho potato!!

Where do you want it delivered to George?

Scott in Montana